PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 454 Combo

Donald Morris
06-02-2004, 05:33 PM
There has been some talk about 454/Alpha One combos on another thread (Surf & Turf). Of which I have two on an 87' Z29 that I recently purchased. Coming from an Avanti 27 with two off shore 3.0 merc's with the top built and off shore lower units, I like running fast, no boat in the water, basically on fire. Often in the old boat I came all the way out of the water and constantly had to kill and then jam on the throttles to keep momentum but not spin the drives. In the small amout of conversation (Surf & turf) I am starting to think this may not be the style of boat for this OR hopefully just the wrong drives. Either way, I'd like to enjoy the boat this summer, before beefing the 454 magnums (wich I was told by Donzimarine were stock 375hp) to 450hp (heads,cam & carb) without losing a drive. this is an older boat granted, but it also is a DONZI!

To the members of this prestiges group: How should this boat be drivin?

ToonaFish
06-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Like you stole her.

Tithing a suitable amount to the great boating Gods for the replacement drive, of course.

Dr. Dan
06-02-2004, 06:34 PM
:wavey: As I understand it...and others will chime here I am sure...what kills drives is the "Mass of the Boat" and the Radical Style of Driving You just described. The Alphas and your style of driving with that heavy of a hull...I would warm up that Master Card or get friendly with your Banker...cuz you'll see alot of both.

Rootsy, RoadTrip and Tuvell have most recently experienced drive issues.....in more extreme cases...it is radical horsey's jammed into an unreinforced drive system.

There are alot of used Bravos...and lots of hardware to beef them up...my understanding is they are stronger than Alphas...so go figure....none the less...any drive...even Race Units break...so I guess its relative....

Good Luck

Doc :smash:

EricG
06-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Here's a discussion we had about Alpha's last year. I don't know why, but I couldn't find it doing a search - I had to look through all of my old posts until I found it... :confused:

Anyway HERE (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23720) it is...

-EG

Cuda
06-02-2004, 08:13 PM
My opinion is the alphas are right on the ragged edge now, and I'd be surprised to see them last through the summer. When you beef up the 454's, they are good as gone. Take the money for the hop up on the engine, and due a bravo swap, then next year do the engines.

Cuda
06-02-2004, 08:14 PM
By the way, I trashed an alpha on my twin sbc 242 last year, and I don't drive em hard. It may have been due more to previous upkeep. Count on around $1800/rebuild.

Donald Morris
06-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Toona, Doc, EG, Cuda,

Thanks for your posts. First, EG, I apreciate your time searching and finding the old thread on this topic. Good reading!

Well it looks like the way to enjoy this boat is to ease into motion, get on plane and then steady fredy on and off.

The Bravo's sound nice, but as one poster stated; You'll never recap your drive and engine overhaul $$ in the end. However, if the 87' z29 was a "good" hull design (which I don't know), the boats look is classic and having an upgraded interior like Trueser :cards: , what more could you want in a boat? Like having a 75+mph classic Ferarri. Will the Bravo's give you anything more than possible reliability? And now I'm thinking about the motor thing. How much is too much? What modifications would make sense and work with stock Bravo drives?

OK...I'll stop. :uzi:

Dr. Dan
06-03-2004, 08:36 AM
:spongebob I think alot about updating your drives is also about serviceability!!!! In my case ...it was inevitable that I would run into parts availability for my King Cobra....I am keeping the Drive for now ...but a large push for me to drop in the "Blue Pill" was I wanna be able to go to a place and actually not have the guy look at me like I am from another planet.... to be honest it has not been a problem....there still seem to be plenty of Parts available.

:umbrella: But there are alot more options to procure "Higher Performance Parts" in the Bravo & Merc format....I am not speaking to the broad aftermarket applications here!

I prefer turn key reliabilty and performance with an attitude, when I need or want it!!!!

Its always a process...but thats half the fun IMO!

Safe Boating

Doc :beer:

Pismo
06-03-2004, 03:40 PM
A friend has an '87 22 Classic with a 454 alpha that has been juiced up to 400+ hp with no problems. Only mod is an internal drive oil monitor attached thru the vent hole. Mods done in 1990 so over 10 years on drive at 400+ hp. Fresh water. Relatively light boat, easy when planing off.