PDA

View Full Version : Resizing photos

springs
06-02-2004, 09:41 AM
:confused: Can anyone tell me how to resize a photo? I've got several photos that I've scanned but they timeout when I try to upload. Comparing their size to other pics I've posted in the past they are much larger. How can I (if at all) reduce the size?

thanks

Lenny
06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
I save them to my desktop for ease of finding. Then I open (in my case) MGI Photosuite, ( a self installed photo program) and simply hit "open" then chose a file from the "desktop" area, then click "prepare", then click re-size with original proportions, then decrease the height or width field to end up about 1024 by 768. That seems to be the maximum for easy on screen viewing. I have found that the Windows paint stuff doesn't allow for original proportions to be kept when you decrease certain parameters. (at least it doesn't work for me) The above process takes about 15 seconds.

EricG
06-02-2004, 10:50 AM
If you are using windows XP, I found (ok, somebody on one of those other websites found) a cool Microsoft Utility that allows you to just "right-click" and resize your images. It is WAY easier than using a resizing utility or some editing software. By default it just creates a file with the same name only with "small" added to the name - so it will not overwrite your originals.

Just click on the ImageResizer.exe on this PAGE (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp)

-EG

springs
06-02-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys. Worked great!!!!!!

harbormaster
06-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Also make saure you are NOT using the .BMP file format. They require quite a bit more space than others.