PDA

View Full Version : Sterling 18 Classics Donzi Hull design

Koenig
06-01-2004, 05:28 PM
I drove up to Vancouver, B.C. cause someone advertised one of these as a Donzi and the price was good. Noticed two more pop up in the Washington State boat trader forsale. Anybody have any info about these Sterling Classics? Donzi design the hull or just "copies"? Thought I would post the ads in case anybody was interested:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/6/72019496.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/2/71745142.htm

MOP
06-01-2004, 07:36 PM
I am reasonably sure that they were built under an agreement with Donzi, there was a post back awhile that went into them. You could try a search.

Phil

boxy
06-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Phil, I think you are refering to the licensing agreement Shepard Boats had to build Donzi's. I've never come across a licensed copy made by anyone else.

Lenny
06-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Koenig, those are not the same hull. I have looked at them before. Not those exact ones. Beware, that in your area (as well as mine) that there have been 3 companies building "copies" of these smaller boats. Vancouver B.C. and Washington USA in the late 70's and early 80's these Companies have popped out "Donzi's" both 16's and 18's. Glasply, Starfire and Hourston. That hull you see has a different transom gunwhale angle and a raised glass inlay along upper hullsides...as well, most of the copies omitted the "tub" inside the cockpit as it was a pain to reproduce from a "host" boat full of controls and guages etc. So, most of the copies have inner hullsides showing and are carpeted etc.

By the way, there is a 1970's 20 Cigarette with original gelcoat and a 454 and TRS about 5 hours from you (south). Brown gelcoat and tinted glasswork, all original on original trailer. I have not been able to get any more pics of it unfortunately as the seller doesn't look at his email. He is asking $11K US.

Koenig
06-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Lenny,

The knock offs do seem really popular here, seen more of them than real Classics for sale in WA and B.C. More or less just curious. Kinda like those Fiero rebodied 308 Ferrari's, after you build it and account for the money spent on it, those guy's could have bought a nice daily driver 308 for the same money.

Could you post some pics of the Cigarette. Might be of interest. 5 hours is a short commute for me! Thinking due to funding the bulk of three seperate business start-ups financing a new or near Classic might be the best option this year.

One of the start-up's is a Porsche only dealership, so I've been thinking of keeping a few older Donzi and Cigarette's around. More to justify owning more than one boat! The lot we might buy is high highway traffic, if you are on your way to Lake Chelan from Everett and Seattle you pass right on by. Good sport for selling good clean popular boats!