PDA

View Full Version : 1966 16' re- core + tank job

SWEET 66
06-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Today is June 1 and I am still not completed.
Used Divinicell to replace the balsa. Tank was replaced in 1988 and as I read 10 years life expectancy, I thought I would rip out the foam and check -- sure enough , pitting was evident and almost through the wall of the alumn tank.
New tank was around $435. Seems high but I made the dimentions 1" higher and 1" longer which gave me a 26 gal. tank--due june 4. I have spent around $500 and 15 gallons of resin and mat + woven roven to get this far!

Lenny
06-01-2004, 04:50 PM
How did you go through 15 gallons of resin on a 16' deck recore only? Basically adding 175 pounds of mat/roven and coring? . A 16 deck weighs about 250-275 pounds "new and cored". Keep in mind you can build an entire 18 footer, hull and deck with about 30-ish. ??? and that is with 8 lay-ups of CSM and Roven and Hy-brids. What did you lay back in there, a mat,dyvincell,mat and a roven? Saturation ratios, when wonderfully done, are in the ballpark of 70% glass/re-inforements to 30% resin. I am just curious. :)

SWEET 66
06-01-2004, 05:10 PM
I was advised to lay the mat wet then while wet I put down the foam with holes poked 4-6" apart and soaked it with resin so it would bond with the bottom-let it dry then put woven roven on top. It just ate up the resin. Was this incorrect?

Lenny
06-01-2004, 05:20 PM
The 1 1/2 oz down first seems right, followed by pre-saturated foam coring and then while sitting there against the wet mat you wet it out some more. Once it has kicked you would lay a mat on top of it again and then the roven. Roven and any re-inforcements like to (need to) be, next to a wet mat in order to obtain a good co-hesive bond.

I think 15 gallons is a lot of resin, considering this is closed cell foam. Did you do the port and starboard as well at the rear of the 16 and cockpit floor as well?

SWEET 66
06-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes, I did the entire boat. No mat was put down between the foam and the woven roven. The factory guy who made the foam in Texas did not suggest it! I hope its strong enough. They suggested 5/8" thick foam since the balsa was 1/2". Sounds like you know!

yesyoucan
06-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I am currently trying to remove deck from my 1967 16'.I cannot find any tabbing holding it together,however,it does not want to come apart.Any suggestions?

SWEET 66
06-01-2004, 05:38 PM
One sure way is to place a 2x4 inside the engine compartment and with a hoist, pull it up slightly. You will be able to see where its hung which will be a fiberglass patch holding the top to the bottom. Usually on the undersides of the seats. It must be cut apart and the top will come off. Use 4-6 friends to accomplish this task.

BERTRAM BOY
06-01-2004, 05:39 PM
When I recored my 16, I only used between 5-6 gallons on polyester, and I used balsa, which soaks up a LOT of resin.
I didn't put a mat down before the core. I used polyester putty to adhere the balsa to the deck. I used double bias stichmat over the core.

SWEET 66
06-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Nice job! I took every pc. of balsa out and cut all the top portion of woven roven out. I used the resin to fill some voids and to smooth out some areas. I could not get the divinycell to lay as flat in some areas as needed even with weight on it so after it dried, I filled each hole up with resin to bond both sides together. May have been overkill but I don't want to do this again !