PDA

View Full Version : Removing bravo lower unit

harbormaster
06-01-2004, 02:34 AM
I am Removing the lower units from bravo one outdrives.

I have all the bolts loose and the damn things will not come off. I tried the other 2 outdrives and have the same problem.
I removed the 6 side nuts and the bolt under the rear anode.

What am I missing? Do they have to be in a certain gear??

gcarter
06-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Hi HM;
I've not personally done a Bravo, but my manual contains the sentance "On badly corroded units, the driveshaft may be frozen, making it necessary to pry the gearcase housing loose from the driveshaft housing"
I hope that helps.
George

harbormaster
06-01-2004, 02:35 PM
OK Guys,

There is at least one of you with a trick up your sleave on this one.

Rootsy
06-01-2004, 02:57 PM
hmmm removing the sterndrive from the transom assy is what you are talking about?

if she is loose by all 6 bolts and the trim rams are off the gasket and splines are probably hangin onto her.. pick it up and let it drop a few times.. don't be too gentle.. the shockl will generally break the seal... you are gonna have to go in with a small flat screwdriver to lift the gate to then lift the shift cable out of the jaws... this will occur once the drive has seperated about an inch from the transom assy...

or are you splitting the upper and lower drive halves? been a few years but there are no special things hanging onto it.. should be a few small dowels for location and the vertical driveshaft splines..

Mr X
06-01-2004, 03:43 PM
I think HM is dropping the foot off, not the entire upper.
HM, try moving the shift leaver back and forth gently while someone in the back pulls down on the foot.

That works sometimes.

Ted

mphatc
06-01-2004, 08:39 PM
It must be the only Baja in the world with old Volvos on it if you're buying it!

and the slowest

Mario

gcarter
06-01-2004, 10:29 PM
I have also found a good deal on a really nice Baja. I am selling all my Donzi's and buying it.
???????????

George :confused: