PDA

View Full Version : Iteresting experiment

MOP
05-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Was looking at a boat yesterday with aluminum manifods that looked like they were just installed I said how nice they looked, the guy said they were 5 years old. I said I could not believe the condition externally, he said he was given a tip to prime with zinchromate then to use Krylon outdoor plasic furniture paint. On the way home stopped at the paint store and asked my guy what he thought, said it was as tough as nails but required proper cure time. So as some of you know I procured a brand new but old set of aluminum long riser Gil's they are powder coated black, that is 3 pieces 1 manifold was silver. I was ging to have it re-powdwer coated but now am trying the Krylon, the manifolds have several years of shop dings so I lightly sanded all the pieces and shot them. They look great but time will tell, I will be very happy if they look like the ones I saw yesterday.

Phil

rayjay
05-31-2004, 12:07 PM
...he said he was given a tip to prime with zinchromate then to use Krylon outdoor plastic furniture paint. On the way home stopped at the paint store and asked my guy what he thought, said it was as tough as nails but required proper cure time. - Phil

Is that regular Krylon paint or the paint they make for use on plastic? I used to use regular Krylon on all the mag wheels on my motorcycles. Cured with a heat lamp or in the hot sun it was almost as strong as powder coat and a lot easier to fix or change when needed as well as being much cheaper.

rayjay

Donald Morris
05-31-2004, 12:31 PM
It's not about how it looks on the outside MOP, but, how it works on the inside. Or am I confussed and that only applys to books and covers or something like that. How about them risers though...

MOP
05-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Rayjay it is the plastic paint, so for painting over the powder(plastic) coating on my stuff it should do well. It looks real nice, hopefully it will do what they say. My boy at the paint shop says it adheres extremely well, We shall see!