PDA

View Full Version : Were Can I mount a Temporary Gas Tank on a 16

Shanghied Again
05-30-2004, 09:46 PM
My 16 Outboard is running good, I need a new tank but dont want to take the lid off this year, Were can I put a Temp tank for the season? Any suggestions would help.Thanx :bonk:

mattyboy
05-31-2004, 07:04 AM
Frank,
not sure about the deck config on an OB 16 but the hull should be the same, On mine a small portable tank would fit on the outside of the starboard stringer in the bilge that shouldn't throw the balnce of the boat off do you have access to the bilge???, or maybe the foot locker?? if you remove the liner
Is the tank still up front in an OB 16????

Matty

Shanghied Again
06-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks Matty and Scott, I just want the kid to be able to use his boat this year so I will mount a small tank under the deck this year and pull the lid off next year.

Scott Pearson
06-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Frank,
Its a day project. I would pop the deck on a rainy day and be back in the water on the day after.

(NJ)Scott

RPD
06-03-2004, 09:26 PM
removing the deck on a 16OB isn't a day job..... unscrews all around like an inboard except at the motor well which is glassed in place.... as best as we could tell when we did mine....

but, removing the lining from the locker in the cockpit sole should allow enough room for a temporary tank....

PS: when you are ready to remove the deck and do some work, check with me and I might have a couple of ideas for you..... did mine about 2 years ago after owning the boat 12 years.

Bob

Scott Pearson
06-04-2004, 05:15 AM
How are you going to remove the liner without removing the deck?

I guess my days are longer then others....

(NJ)Scott

RPD
06-04-2004, 12:06 PM
on my 16ob the compartment in the cockpit consists of a liner box lowered in from above.... originally fixed with screws around the perimeter, it stays in place just fine without the screws so it is easy to lift out and access the area below... as a temporary fix for one season, the liner could be left out and there should be room for a portable tank.... maybe 12 gal...

mattyboy
06-04-2004, 12:11 PM
I confused, are we talking about the cockpit liner or the tub for the floor locker?? I was referring to the tub for the floor locker the liner on my 16 is part of the deck, this summer I'm gonna have to take a closer look at John B's 16 ob.
and lifting the deck is a one day job if you have good friends the right tools and don't have Easter eggs for breakfast :eek: :tongue: :bonk:

Peter Cottontail