PDA

View Full Version : Fuses?

Cuda
05-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I presume these are fuses at the bottom of the dash. Any idea how they come out?

BUIZILLA
05-30-2004, 06:52 PM
I believe those are circuit breakers.... not fuses

J :sombrero:

gcarter
05-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Hi Joe;
Not a fuse, a circuit breaker, or breakers. Mine are trash, not at all water resistant. If you like, I can take a picture of one disassembled. You might want to think about replacing them. Also almost impossible to remove.
Sorry;
George

Cuda
05-30-2004, 07:19 PM
I need to do something, hardly anything electric works. I'm especially concerned because the blower doesn't work.

gcarter
05-30-2004, 07:29 PM
When I get to that project, I'm going to replace mine with the pushbutton type with the water resistant boots.

George

Cuda
05-30-2004, 07:35 PM
I was hoping to keep this one as original as possible. Jim, have you had to do anything with yours? I can't even feel any kind of detent in them. Do they slide up and down, or push in and out?

BUIZILLA
05-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Joe, those breakers are kinda mousey.... they are a miniature rocker style breaker, they don't detent very much when triggered. It's not a very positive feel when they are detented. They are not moisture proof, much less waterproof. If your voltmeter works, then find the buss panel behind the dash, and check for power distribution between there and the breakers. If the voltmeter does not work, then find the missing red 10 gauge wire(s) that should be on the large terminal of the starter post, that feeds forward to the buss panel behind the dash. This wire(s) will be seperate from the red 4-0 battery cable at the starter. There are 2 buss strips under the dash, one positive and one negative strip. The common power, and ground, runs from gauge to gauge from the strip(s). Since you eliminated the EFI harness, you prolly lost that dash feed wire in the process. Look on the transom for the engine control buss panel, and see if it feeds forward from there as well. Also, the check valve at the tank on the Minx's is a perpetual troublesome area of attention. I removed my check ball/spring assy from the fitting entirely, and it cured all of my fuel starvation problems.

J :shades:

MOP
05-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I am not a fan of the crappy breakers used on most boats today they are fine for a few years then go to hell. Many use slip on connectors that over time either corrode or get loose. The connectors need cleaning and tightening and in many cases need replacement on boats that get the dash wet. Most breakers are poorly sealed, the contacts within corrode. A good practice when one pops is to turn off the circuit then reset the breaker with no load. If it pops again it is a time to stop and find out why! A breaker reset under high load can at times fuse its self together, I have seen breakers rated at 20 Amps melt the wires plastic covering. I feel though breakers are very convenient they is not as safe or as good tried and well proved fuse. Going back to a good old fashion under dash fuse block is a good idea.

rickrsbro
05-31-2004, 10:50 AM
try these guys. they have a wide assortment of styles to choose from.
marine breakers (http://cmsquick.com/index.html)