PDA

View Full Version : First launch

Cuda
05-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I finally talked Deb into going to the lake after she spent all day cleaning the boat.

First time in the water.

Cuda
05-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Looking good.

Cuda
05-29-2004, 07:19 PM
I hope it looked good enough, because that was as far as we got! :mad:

I tried to start it, and it would fire. At this point I wasn't sure if it was ignition or fuel. Then I remembered I happened to have dad's timing light in my truck. Got it out and determined I had fire. I took off the flame arrestor and had Debbie pump the throttle. No fuel. :mad:

At this point I decided to put it back on the trailer and take it home. I knew we were going to have trouble getting it on the trailer because when we took it off, it kind of fell off the bow stop. I told Deb we would have trouble, but she didn't listen and tried to manhandle the boat into the trailer. Naturally the bow slams into the supports of the bowstop and knocks a chip out of the gelcoat. :angryfire I was just a wee bit less than happy about that.

We get it home and I pour gas in the carb hoping it just needed to pump the fuel to the carb. It ran on what I poured in and quit. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and turned the engine over, still no fuel. Any ideas? I'll hit it again in the morning.

MOP
05-29-2004, 08:06 PM
First pull the dip stick and smell the oil for any fuel stink, many times when the diaphragm lets go it pumps some fuel into the engine. If no fuel in oil indicating a bad pump, the could be's, filter in the carb inlet, main fuel filter, plugged pickup tube, stuck anti siphon valve or can still be the fuel pump. Try filling the carb again use a squirt oil can with a length of model airplane fuel line on the end and slide it in the vent tube. You should be able to fill the bowl so it will run a few minutes, get it running and see if you can keep it running by closing the choke down a ways while playing with the gas. That will at least give you an idea that gas can get through. You also can disconnect the inlet to the pump turn the engine over with your finger over it to see if it is sucking.

Cuda
05-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Phil, aren't marine fuel pumps designed where the fuel goes into that lower hose? I know the old car types would fill a crankcase with gas if the diaphram failed, but I think they have changed the design a while back.

I'm going to diconnect the inlet side of the pump tomorrow and put it in a container of gas and see if it pumps then.

Cuda
05-29-2004, 08:31 PM
OK,dumb question here, but there is a fuel valve @ the tank I believe...

Yes there is. I can't tell which way it's supposed to be, but it was in the position that I would think is on. I tried it in both directions anyway.

Cuda
05-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Handle lines up with the fuel line in the on position.. sorry, had to ask. lets not discuss why!! :)

That's what I figured too, generally the handles are in the same direction as the lines when they are on, but I tried both ways to be sure.

Speed-Racer
05-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Cuda,

IS that up on the St. Johns? Looks like Hontoon Island....Don't forget fellow SEA DOGS are just down the river....

Cuda
05-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Cuda,

IS that up on the St. Johns? Looks like Hontoon Island....Don't forget fellow SEA DOGS are just down the river....

It's at Lake Seminole in St Pete. We are closing on a house in Deland on a canal just off the St John's next week.

MOP
05-30-2004, 12:20 AM
Yes all mechanical pumps are dual daphram, you can do a test on the pump. Pull the translucent tube from the pump to the carb off at the pump replace it with a good rubber hose clamped at the pump, suck on the tube stick your tongue over the end, it should stay stuck to the tube end if not the diaphram is shot :cussball: I put the chamber under a few inches of vacuum for a few minutes, time for a libation :beer: Once in a while the crank case side diaphram lets go before the one that pumps, an indication of that is dirty oil film inside the translucent tube darker by the pump. Change :wrench: the pump if you see the tube looks dirty :toiletpap I feel that the other diapram is right behind in failing. Anytime you look over an engine you should look at the tube :yes: , it should have the same color and translucency from pump to carb, should not have any liquid in it, discoloration, kinks, or collapsed sections. If it is restricted in anyway it will not do its job. The plastic the tube is quite soft and made to collapse in case of fire, but it also can be an indicator of pump failing.

Cuda
05-30-2004, 04:11 PM
Okay, I found the problem. The water separator has a hole in it. I wouldn't think he'd have put this thing on the boat. It was in a box of stuff I had, and I had never inspected it. I'm damn glad I found it before it found me. :kaioken:

JimG205
05-30-2004, 09:43 PM
Cuda-Minx is lookin real good-at least you know she floats,wouldn't be a bad idea to trace your fuel lines from tank to carb checking all fittings.Also do yourself a BIG safety favor and have an extinguisher handy for the first water start-Lookin for more photo's,good luck on the closing,just went through one last month.Jim :eek:

fasttrucker
05-31-2004, 07:32 AM
Maybe you should put in a fresh water flush.I have one on my boat, that way you can run the boat on the trailer before going out to the boat ramp.I used to start my boat in the morning just to make sure,then the boat would fire up at the ramp.I know :boat: that at a bizzy boat ramp is no place to try and fix your boat.

MOP
05-31-2004, 08:25 AM
Glad it turned out to be a simple item and one none of us thought of, the cans are so thin that the slightest nick will rust through quite soon. Some of the commercial boys shoot a couple of extra coats of paint on them, not a bad idea.

Phil

Scott Heidt
05-31-2004, 08:45 AM
The Minx is looking great!

Cuda
05-31-2004, 04:25 PM
I put the new filter in today. I had to wait to try the boat since Kyle was taking a nap right by the window near the boat. It wouldn't start, so I took a big syringe and filled the carb bowls through the vents. Fired right up and ran great. Checked the oil and no signs of water. Debbie is taking Kyle back to his home at 6, then we're off to the lake again.