PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard stongly guarding West Point

TuxedoPk
05-29-2004, 06:27 PM
I took the GT out for a run this afternoon on the Hudson River. Wanting to run some WOT I opted to head North and miss all the Fleet Week traffic around NYC.

The river was relatively quiet for a holiday weekend with nice weather- lots of runs with no boats in site- Until you hit West Point.

I wish I had my camera so I'd have pictures to post but there was quite a large Coast Guard Vessel anchored at West Point with smaller craft protecting the Point from the North.

Walt - I ran up to Bannerman's Island before heading back south. Are you going to be out on the Hudson this weekend- I'll meet up with you.

mattyboy
05-31-2004, 07:08 AM
Tux,
they are making sure no body tries to crash into something ;).
and having a camera with you is not a great idea if they catch you taking pictures of west pt or indian point you will have alot of xplaining to do!!!!

Matty

Marlin275
05-31-2004, 09:56 AM
The piers are all closed off and traffic is slow all around fleet week. Police everywhere! but when you need one . .

TuxedoPk
05-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Yesterday I drove south into NYC harbor for a close up of fleet week. (Have pictures on camera to post but the buggers don't seem to want to download)

At $2.65/gallon and relatively few boaters in NY harbor (considering the great weather, fleetweek, and a holdiday weekend) I think this is going to be 'quiet' year on the water. I wonder if we'll be seeing an abnormally high number of used boat listings coming onto the market by the end of the season and a corresponding decline in the values of the majority of pre-owned guzzlers.

The police boats, sheriff's boats, and coast guard didn't seem too concerned with my boating.

I did find it odd to have that police helicopter following me with a spotlight once I started to trailer the boat though :)

Walt. H.
06-01-2004, 12:15 PM
TUX,

Thanks for asking me but no I was not out, sorry.

"police helicopter following me with a spotlight once I started to trailer the boat though"
WOW! I guess it was dark out so did they stick around to help you back into your driveway?? :rlol: :jestera: :rlol:

Walt :wavey:

TuxedoPk
06-01-2004, 08:14 PM
TUX,
"police helicopter following me with a spotlight once I started to trailer the boat though"
WOW! I guess it was dark out so did they stick around to help you back into your driveway?? :rlol: :jestera: :rlol:

Walt :wavey:

No.. They just follow me to make sure I don't try to tow on the PIP again :)