PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever done/used either of these?

cfkingfish
05-28-2004, 10:27 PM
As part of me being like this :hyper: waiting to get the new (to me) 16 classic back home, Ive gone around looking for some performance upgrades for her. I know there are a lot of possibilities with a 327 chevy motor, and was considering using an MSD marine ignition box, with blaster coil, distributor, cap, rotor, wires, and some high performance plugs. There is also an option you can get with the box where you can mount an adjustable timing knob to retard or advance to one's liking. Has anyone ever set up an application like this? Also, I was looking to change the oil and put AmsOil synthetic in - the odd thing is that AmsOil sells 4 cycle marine oil, and 4 cycle automotive oil. Im guessing there is not much of a difference, but would anyone think this is a bad idea? I was considering 20W-50 because I figured an engine running in Florida heat may tend to think out. Since the engine is somewhat old, I didnt want to stir things up inside and get some leaking at the gaskets/seals. Right now I am trying to use my automotive knowledge and try to apply it to marine engines, so correct me anywhere if I go astray.

Thanks again,

-Christian

MOP
05-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Synthetics are extremely stable at varying temperatures, they flow well cold or hot and reduce operating temperatures. I am a synthetic freak I love the stuff, every thing I have changed over to has done much better in all respects. Land stuff has gained 1-2 miles per gallon, I have run three vehicles to well over 200,000 miles and sold them to others that kept them longer than I thought possible. Amsoil I have not fooled with, but a buddy is dumping his Amsoil Mercedes diesel with over 500,000 and getting a new one. I asked him why, while we were doing 75 down the pike showing 50psi oil pressure. He said it was worn out used to show 70psi Go Figure I would go another 100,000+ if it were mine heck it was only 9 years old and mint.

Bad-Tat
05-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Go with the Amsoil. Can't go wrong with it, 20-50 in both my boats. Also run it in 4 cars and 12 bikes.

boldts
05-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Have to admit, I really like the synthetic oil also. I can't tell you the difference between marine and automotive Amsoil, but bet someone here can. Only reasons for marine would be maybe special additives because of the way a marine engine is run. In most cases, it's on or off when it comes to the throttle. Car engines get a breather every now and then with stop lights and the such.

Last oil change in my Tahoe, I changed to Mobil 1 with 60,000 on the truck. Lets just say I've been amazed at the added fuel mileage I'm now getting. I averaged over 19 MPG towing the F-14 to Lake Cumberland. This is a truck that averaged 16 or less driving it to and from work every day. Wish I had changed years ago! :moped:

Pismo
06-04-2004, 08:43 PM
What weight synthetic do you all run in a boat? 20-50? I see some 5-50 for sale but that sounds a little thin.?.?

Thanks
SL

MOP
06-04-2004, 10:16 PM
What weight synthetic do you all run in a boat? 20-50? I see some 5-50 for sale but that sounds a little thin.?.?

Thanks
SL

Do a search "Big Griz" has had a few excellent posts oil good Q&A, no conjecture!

Mac
06-05-2004, 06:58 AM
I have used Amsoil gear oil in my truck. I am pretty sure that some if not all of thier products are not API certified so if the vehicle is still under warrantee you may want to use something like Mobil 1 that is. I did not have have any problems with Amsoil but at the next change I switched to Mobil 1 after finding that out.