PDA

View Full Version : Trim motor for sterndrives/Volvo 280 in particular

cfkingfish
05-27-2004, 07:34 PM
As I said in a previous post, I have recently decided to purchase a 1968 18 classic, in need of a little TLC. My main problem is understanding trim motors and finding the "right" one, if there is a right one for the boat. I have the Volvo 280 sterndrive, and do not understand if the trim motor is considered a part of the sterndrive, or just part of the electrical system. I guess what Im trying to say is - Are trim motors specific to their respective sterndrives? Or can you use "universal" trim/tilt motors for a given sterndrive? Also, is the motor located within the sterndrive? Or is it remotely located somewhere in the engine compartment? Sorry for my ignorance :( , I was about to buy the Clymer service manual today but for some reason did not. I also am not near the boat, so I cant take a look at it myself. Thanks for any and all advice. I hope to learn alot while finishing up the work on this boat.

-Christian

cfkingfish
05-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Is there a way to tell whether it is a 280T? I think I should wait until I actually get the boat to figure everything thing out. That and the Clymer's manual, but until then, thinking about it makes me like this...:hyper:

-Christian

cfkingfish
05-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Here are some pictures of the boat - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479282885&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT it did not sell on ebay so I went and made him an offer. Looks like I have the regular 280.

-Christian

MOP
05-27-2004, 11:02 PM
Looks like a real nice find, you need a regular tilt motor. Try to get one off Ebay or a member may have an extra one, they are expensive new. Noticed the drive has a nose cone they do help a bit on the Volvos, you should invest on exhaust flaps the 16's sit low and can get water in the pipes at times.

Phil

Dr. Dan
05-28-2004, 05:01 AM
:wavey: Nice looking Donzi.....looks ready to go.....great find....

Good Luck

Doc :sombrero:

cfkingfish
05-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the compliments. MadPoodle, are you saying you know which tilt motor goes with this outdrive, and that it is 138 bucks? Thats not too bad. I saw a trim motor on ebay that was used, the opening bid was $225, so I thought I was in for a $400 part. When and where is that Suwanee event?

-Christian