PDA

View Full Version : Bad Solenoid

TuxedoPk
05-27-2004, 12:51 PM
My V-Drive GT's solenoid failed after day 1 at AOTH and I needed to resort to jumping the boat with a screwdriver.

I was given conflicting advice as to whether I should I replace the just the solenoid or the solenoid and starter?

ITTLFLI
05-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Tux,

I would just replace the whole starter if I were you. That is what I do!

Byron

BUIZILLA
05-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Tux, is yours an external trigger solenoid ? or a starter mount solenoid you were sparking... I mean jumping ?? ;) If it's a trigger solenoid just replace that one and not the complete starter.

J :cool!:

TuxedoPk
05-27-2004, 09:37 PM
J- Is sparking the correct term to be using?

I believe that the solenoid is attached to the top/side of the starter... Would that make it 'external' or starter mount?

Expecting heavy rain tomorrow but I can take a pic over the weekend to be sure.

Rich

TuxedoPk
05-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Tux,

I would just replace the whole starter if I were you. That is what I do!

Byron

Byron, Good to hear from you. Had fun with you and Jill for those last few "One more beers" :)

Woodsy
05-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Tux...

If its a Chevy, and the solenoid you are jumping is mounted to the starter, you are probably better off to replace the whole unit. No Need to do the job twice. If its a Ford setup with a solenoid NOT attached to the starter, then just replace the solenoid.

PS: Causing sparks in the bilge while trying to start a boat engine can be EXETREMLY HAZARDOUS to you and those around you.

Woodsy Von Outboard

MOP
05-28-2004, 03:37 PM
All properly wired boats have an assist solenoid in-line in the battery cable before the starter actual final energizining is at the starter its self. Ford has a what I would call a snap switch in the starter to engage the bendix, on GM products the assist sends power to a solenoid on the stater which drives the bendix into the flywheel then energizes the stater its self. Starters that energize in this manner require a lot of amperage to get turning. The assist solenoid reduces the amount of current needed by shortening the distance the current has to travel. If you are able to energize the starter by jumping the small terminal to the large battery wire terminal on a GM starters solenoid the starter is operational and the assist solenoid is at fault. I do agree with doing the starter and alternator over when buying a boat unless they are shown to be very recently done over, then do them again at 200-250 hours, we are not allowed to walk on water!

Ok Ok Yes Chrysler is different, they are energized directly by the assist solenoid and have no starter solenoid, they use a helix type bendix which kicks out when the engine starts.

Rootsy
05-28-2004, 09:32 PM
DUDE you shoulda asked me.. i had the ole snap-on remote starter button in the toolbox... much much safer than ole sparky of the screwdriver method... :yes:

JR - why yes we could rebuild just bout anything at AOTH..... EXCEPT :smash:

TuxedoPk
05-28-2004, 11:25 PM
DUDE you shoulda asked me.. i had the ole snap-on remote starter button in the toolbox... much much safer than ole sparky of the screwdriver method... :yes:
:smash:

I just learned about the ole snap-on starter button from MOP today. Do I need to make one of those or can I purchase one from a local marine shop- I'll be using the boat a lot this weekend before I get a chance to replace the solenoid.

I would have asked you but you seemed... preoccupied at the time :)

MOP
05-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Not a bad item to have, buy a decent start box. Snap-on has a real nice one for about $40. With that you can eliminate everything forward and still run the engine to get wherever. They last forever one of mine is well over thirty years old. Like mentioned several times above Sparks in the bilge can be A POOOOF!

Cuda
05-29-2004, 07:58 AM
I bought one a couple years ago on the internet. As I recall, I paid $11 for it.

MOP
05-29-2004, 08:36 AM
MOP, you are an old fart ;)

40 bucks? from Snap On?? when did you buy it, 1918?? :biggrin.: :wink:

Hmmmmmmm! Truizums memory on events of the past is getting sketchy!