PDA

View Full Version : I think I got me one!

cfkingfish
05-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Well, after a full day of driving around south Florida I made a Donzi purchase. Its a 1968 16 classic, 90% restored. It needs a few things, such as a trim motor, starter, and could use new seats in the future, but I just couldnt pass up the advantages. It has a 327 sbc with a 650 Holly carb on it, and a fully rebuilt Volvo 280 outdrive. Its also got a hotfoot, it seems pretty nice, and a brand new trailer. I couldnt pass it up for the price. Anyways, enough gloating, I had a few questions. Does anyone know how much HP the volvo 280 outdrive can hold? It also came with no trimtabs or stereo, and was thinking of putting one on. Where can I get good trimtabs for it? When the boat was restored and re-gelcoated, they took off the old DONZI label, and he never got a chance to put a new one on. Where can I get one of these, and what will that run me? Thanks for all the advice, Im hoping to have it in the garage in the next 2 weeks.

Dr. Dan
05-26-2004, 10:45 PM
:beer: Congratulations.... I think you find answers to most of your questions if you utilize the "Search Feature" most of these items have been covered in some detail....I use it to get general and specific information.

Post some pics when ya can....there are alot of Volvo Drives here....

Doc :cool!:

MOP
05-27-2004, 10:06 AM
The 280 is a very tough drive, it will hold more HP than most. The thing that limits them is hydrodynamics they tend to blow out, though some have done very well playing with props and nose cones. Quite a few of the members will chime in with good hands on input. Best of luck with it should keep you happy for quite awhile.

Phil

cfkingfish
05-27-2004, 11:32 AM
The one part I am having a hard time finding is a trim motor for the outdrive. Is there a site online that sells parts for the 280 outdrive?

-Christian

MOP
05-27-2004, 11:48 AM
The guys I use are below, they have been absolutely great for many years. Also quite a few of the motors turn up on Ebay for quite a bit less $$$.

Phil

http://www.allislandmarine.com/

cfkingfish
05-27-2004, 12:16 PM
I found a used motor on ebay, but would rather by new if I can. Thanks for the link.

-Christian

cfkingfish
05-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Phil-

Where are you located on Peconic Bay? I just moved to Florida from Shelter Island, so I am guessing you are pretty close to there.