PDA

View Full Version : Stripping bottom paint

gcarter
05-26-2004, 06:42 PM
When I bought my Minx, it had anti-fouling paint on the bottom (in fact it had A-F paint on the outdrive- but thats another story). I have put off the chore of removing it as long as I can!! :bawling:
I have cleaned about 15% of the paint with Stripeze, it does eventually come off. It takes about three applications to thouroughly clean the bottom.
Does anyone have experience with something that works better?
Thanks in advance;

George

Hotboat
05-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I removed the anti-fouling paint from an X-18 with a user friendly remover called Peel-Away. It is non-toxic and I used it in the basement. Scraped it off, wet sanded the bottom with 400, and then buffed it. You could not tell it was ever painted. Lots of work but worth it.

Lenny
05-26-2004, 07:15 PM
I have sprayed on Easy-Off oven cleaner and then warm water to wash away. It works but watch Aluminum and steel stuff. I wasn't too picky as to the end result mind you.

Genuine Risk
05-26-2004, 09:38 PM
I've done a fair amount of stripping on wooden boats. What I found useful is to slather on the paint stripper and then cover it with wax paper. the stripper chemicals are prone to evaporate and the wax paper slows the evaporation and will keep it active for a longer period on the surface. Be patient, let the chemical work. GOOD LUCK!!!

Tim

gcarter
05-27-2004, 05:10 AM
I've done a fair amount of stripping on wooden boats. What I found useful is to slather on the paint stripper and then cover it with wax paper. the stripper chemicals are prone to evaporate and the wax paper slows the evaporation and will keep it active for a longer period on the surface. Be patient, let the chemical work. GOOD LUCK!!!

Tim
Yeah Tim, it was real hot yesterday (97), and it was drying REAL fast.
George

Cuda
05-27-2004, 07:32 AM
It kind of depends on the bottom paint. Some I've gotten off with oven cleaner, others all the oven cleaner did was clean the bottom paint. Another boat I had bead blasted to remove the bp. DO NOT CHOOSE THAT OPTION. It nearly ruined my hull. It looked like it had been hit with birdshot. The best way I have found if the oven cleaner doesn't work is to rent a pressure washer with a sand blasting attachment. Just be careful on corners not to cut through the gel coat.

Lenny
05-27-2004, 08:29 AM
A local Corvette place here (resto) is going to "walnut shell" one of my hulls here shortly. It is what they use to do glass Vettes' at the beginning of a project. I will let you know if it works.

Cuda
05-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Lenny, that's what the guys said that I had mine bead blasted at. They said they do Vettes all the time.

MOP
05-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I have tried all but the nut shell blasting over the years, we use a company called No Chem they use plastic beads and clean up after themselves. It does make the gel look like smoked glass, with light sanding that disappears. Some of our members sand the bottoms to break the stiction layer so you may want to leave that way below the water line.

Phil

rayjay
05-27-2004, 09:51 AM
From my experience Walnut Shells work great to strip any soft metal such as Aluminum or Brass as well as Fiberglass. We used it a lot when working on the bikes. It takes a long time though, but that is more than countered by the reduced damage done. After all you do not want your irreplaceable Norton Manx side cover damaged when striping the paint someone stupidly put there. Also, for when working inside an engine or on internal engine pieces, Walnut Shells are digestible, meaning they do not do bad things to your engine if not completely cleaned out, where plastic beads can cause damage if left behind. I'm not saying you do not have to thoroughly clean after using them, but errant shells are less of a problem than errant beads. I've never seen an oiling problem caused by Walnut Shells but I have seen engine failures caused by clogged oil passages from Beads left behind.

rayjay

Lenny
05-27-2004, 04:41 PM
George, here is a local product (to me) and might be worth a call or two...

http://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_home.htm

I have NOT used it before.

Here is a link/story on walnut shells.

http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/Media/Abrasive/walnut.shtml

For use as a blast cleaning media:

For removal of paint, flash, burrs and other flaws in plastic and rubber molding, aluminum and zinc die-casting, and electronics industries
As a sand replacement for paint removal, graffiti removal and general cleaning in restoration of buildings, bridges and outdoor statuaries
For aircraft engine cleanout
For cleaning steam turbines
Other uses:

Prevent lost circulation in oil well drilling
Provide a non-skid enhancer in abrasive paints around swimming pools, walkways, dock boards and paddleball courts
Serve as filler prior to burnout - a porosity enhancer for grinding wheels and ceramics
Preserve gel-coat when removing paint from fiberglass boats

"...Serve as filler prior to burnout..." I think I did that with alcohol at AOTH :rolleyes: