PDA

View Full Version : how much RPM's is too much??

marcdups
05-26-2004, 05:40 PM
quick Q ??how much rpm's on a stock 350 mag, if not bring on the mod bolt on parts #, and am looking for a 23 mirage plus labbed pref, thanks, Marc

Rootsy
05-26-2004, 07:12 PM
how much is too much? WHEN SHE PUKES!

seriously... the bottom end is safe to 5500 pretty easily... above 5700 begin looking at getting it balanced at a minimum... add lots of HP on top of that and you need to begin to upgrade other parts...

but you want to prop the boat to where the engine develops max HP.. so on your motor in the 4400 - 4600 to 4800 - 5000 rpm range max depending upon which 350 mag you have... don't spin anymore rpm than you really have to... it diminishes longevity to an extent...

without getting into the motor the 350 mag is pretty much making what you can get out of her... by getting into the motor we are talking about cylinder heads, valvetrains AND THEN better intake and maybe some exhaust... '

but making all of this power is good as long as you trust that your sterndrive will enjoy it... driving style has a lot to do with it also...

JR -

BUIZILLA
05-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Both my Mag's are happy wheeled to 4800.

JH :boat:

Andy McCarty
05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Since we are on the subject i was wonderin the same thing. I have an88Z25 454 bravo out drive. Not sure what pitch prop. it is a quicksilver prop i think (i just got the boat and it is in the shop for a outdrive rebuild. I will find out the pitch this weekend but i will be running her this weekend. Also is there a break in period on a total lower unit rebuild? Sorry to jump in on your question.