PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

donzifirstlove
05-25-2004, 10:08 PM
my 94 classic 16 has about 350 hrs on it. the motor is stock 4.3 LX (4 barrel, vortec heads) and I have the stock alpha drive. the quicksilver shifter I believe is a replacement. my question is, how much grind when shifting is too much. every alpha I have ever driven grinds when shifting. a buddy of mine had his alpha drive break out in the middle of the river, it jsut stopped turning. this has got me thinking about my own drive. also sometimes it cuts out when I shift. I know that there is a shift interuptor that could be causeing this. just trying to prevent a costly repair. any help would be great.

I like to do my own repair work but, woudl it be worth it to get everything serviced at a shop to make sure its working correctly.

steve

MOP
05-25-2004, 11:05 PM
The general thought is to snap them into gear quick not to grind them in, putting them in gear slow wears the clutch dogs real fast. I also feel grinding them in actually stresses things more.

Phil

MOP
05-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Shift adjustment and making sure the cable from the converter to the drive is free but has not developed to much slack. Not sure about fresh water but in salt that cable needs to be changed out after a few years. Get yours hands on a decent manual you can get through most stuff. Merc is probably the best but Seloc is decent.

Phil