PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle At Start Up

Grip-it
05-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey Guys,

I have an 87 18 with a 350 and Rochester quad.
Just recently, when I start the engine, the boat has a low idle and will conk out unless I pop her in neutral and give more gas. The engine runs good when it warms up and runs good at all throttle ranges. This problem is only happening at startup hot or cold does not matter. I just replaced the fuel filter, and that did not help. What should I do next?
Please advise.

Rootsy
05-25-2004, 11:31 AM
get some spray carb cleaner and while she is running about 2000 rpm in neutral spray the inside of the carb down thoroughly until she really gets drug down in rpm.. then stop.. make sure you hit all of the bleed orfices and what not also...

if this doesn't fix it and you have NOT touched the engine then the carb probably needs to come apart for a good cleaning inside and out...

you have NOT touched the ignition timing or any of the idle mixture screws or throttle stop have you???/

RickR
05-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Choke working?

Grip-it
05-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Yes, I have not touched anything.I have NOT touched the ignition timing or any of the idle mixture screws or throttle.
I only changed the fuel filter. Please advise?

MOP
05-25-2004, 03:56 PM
If it runs good hot I would check the choke adjustment, a little to light or heavy will make it run rough. Drag out the book the choke is very easy to set.

Phil