PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX pop up cleats

Richard McCoy
05-24-2004, 09:25 PM
:cool!: Thanks, Frank and Scubado for the location information. I installed two Accon 4.5 pop up cleats on the side of my 22ZX. I found that 6 in. cleats were a little large for the turn on the side of the hull. They were installed 145.5"s from the center tip of the bow following the top edge of the rub rail to the center of the cleat. 28 "s forward of the fuel fill center to cleat center on the port side. 3 1/16 " up from the top edge of the rub to the center of the cleat. + Approx. center of the o n of Donzi on the port side and center of the n of Donzi on the starboard side. Stuff needed. 2 Accon 4.5 cleats, backing plates ,masking tape ,double back tape,4200 3M sealant. SS screws with locknuts or lock washers and nuts. Tools needed ,Drill motor , 1/2" center drill bit, 3/16 center drill bit, True value has these bits. They cut from the outside of the hole in which makes a clean hole in fiberglass. Saber saw with 24 teeth per in. blade. Extra blades,Small Rat tail file , Flat smooth file No more than 1 in., Dremel tool,Dremel small sanding drum that uses 431 Sanding bands. Home Depot or Sears. Two people to install bolts. Put masking tape on Hull Approx .location. Measure from bow for center line mark both sides measure up from rub rail . Check This is the center of the cleat. Measure each side of cleat location so that a cross is formed to produce a straight line. Find the center of the backing plate mark up down ,side to side. Place backing plate on hull and align lines. Mark holes and draw center cut out. With backing plate held on hull or use double back tape to hold in place. drill two 3/16 holes 45 deg. from each other . bolt backing plate to hull cleat " release hole up " on each side of hull. The nuts can be reached by taking the cabin wall out or through the speaker hole or radio cut out. Use backing plate as cut out template. Drill 1/2" hole in the center and on each side inside the backing plate template. Use a saber saw with 24 teeth per in. blade. Cut between holes. Cut about 1/16 in. from the backing plate template. Use the Dremel sander to complete hole. File to clean up corners. Drill the remaining 2 3/16 in. holes. Unbolt backing plate and remove, insert cleat into hole ,file to fit with a flat file and rat tail file. Remove tape. Clean. Apply 4200 sealant to under side of cleat be careful not to get it on the working parts install cleat outside and backing plate in the inside. install bolts washers nuts. Clean sealant from out side. Check operation. Put speakers ,radio, cabin wall back in place. I hope this will help some with the installation of pop up cleats. You can get POP UP CLEATS from Accon Marine Inc. 13665 Automobile Blvd. Clearwater Fl. 33762 Phone no. 727 572 9202 Fax 727 572 7621 On line ACCON MARINE. They have great service.

NEXTASEX
05-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Glad to hear it came out good i would like to take a look at them. Maybe you could help with mine? I will be looking for ya at the williams launch.

DJ13
05-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions, they're gonna come in handy!! Post pix when you have a chance..

DJ