PDA

View Full Version : First Boat

ryandonzi
05-24-2004, 07:54 PM
I am buying my first boat. I found a 1994 Donzi Classic 16' with a 4.3 and a mercruiser outdrive. I want to have fun on the lake mostly just cruising around. How is this boat for pulling a skier/tuber/wakeboarder and how will it handle choppy water? Is this a good boat? is there anything special that I should look for on the boat such as common problems? Thanks for your help.

Ryan Bailey

ryan.bailey@cox.net

(480) 967-5474

smokediver
05-24-2004, 08:03 PM
welcome to the board ! I have a 1998 16 and love it ! great choice ! you can always find a problem so until one really presents itself , enjoy ! storage space is the only problem .

MOP
05-24-2004, 08:27 PM
I just sold my 16! It was and still is a great boat, they do quite well in a chop with a little help from tabs and trim. Most of my runs are pretty long 30 plus miles Jamesport to Montauk, most afternoons it kicks up pretty good. The 16 is fine but wet, to run in 3-4 foot stuff it is a balancing act mid 2's on RPM a fair amount of tab and just enough drive trim to keep it from slapping down of the waves. They will pull a skier just fine though it is a good idea to have a running prop and a ski prop, the ski prop should be about 2 inches less in pitch. I ran a 23 for cruising & play and a 21 not for skiing but for fresh water where the boat is a little heavier. If the boat does not have trim tabs that would be my first buy, that is the best addition to a 16 that you could possibly do.

Phil

ryandonzi
05-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Will a Torque Shift Prop from Land and Sea work good on this boat. My dad gave me a new torque shift prop for a boat that he had before he died, I am not sure why he gave it to me but from the packaging it will work on the mercruiser. What is the top speed of this boat? Does someone make a pad to go over the engine hatch so I can have a place for my "Donzi Babe" to lay when we are sitting idle? Thanks for all the help! Oh, ya is $7500 a good price for this boat, it appears to be in really good condition.

Ryan Bailey
ryan.bailey@cox.net

MOP
05-24-2004, 10:47 PM
The price is good is there a trailer? I have heard varying reports on how people like the Torque Shift, the do steal a little top end but seem to help OK with handling load change. You should run in the low to mid 50's speed wise.

Audiofn
05-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Get a survey!!! If it is your first boat I would hate to see your first venture into boating to be a nightmare. It will cost you about 4-500 bucks but the piece of mind is worth it and your insurance company may require it to get insurance anyhow. Don't assume that because it is a 94 that it is fine. Ussually findings of a good survey will allow you to beat the guy down on the price as they almost always find something. The survey on the Donzi that I just purchased allowed me to get the owner down a few grand, so it was well worth it. Make sure the surveyer runs the motor and does at min. a compresion check and preferably a leak down.

If the boat is 100% then that price seems to be a good one from the search that I just did to find a boat for my wife to learn to drive with.

Jon

ryandonzi
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Hey Guys,
I have tried to find a surveyor here in AZ and everyone tells me that there is no such thing for a boat of this size/price range. I am going to test drive the boat though. The other problem with purchasing a boat in AZ is that boats tend to sell at premium here due to the heat and high demand for boats. I have been looking for the last 3 months and the Donzi 16' is the best deal I can find. Being new to boating I have looked at everything from Bayliners to Cobalts. It seems as though the Donzi will hold it's value better than most boats, is this true. I just want a boat to have fun with and attract a few chicks, and the Donzi seems to be the boat for the bill. Does anyone on this board live in AZ that is willing to look the boat over for me?

Thanks,
Ryan

MOP
05-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Go to the NAMS and SAMS sites there should be a surveyor listed within that state.

Phil

ryandonzi
05-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Well I went and checked out the boat again today and here's the deal. I asked the owner if he would mind if I had a survey done and at first he didn't mind but after a few minutes he decided that he would rather not have someone "screwing around" with his boat. He said that I could drive it all I wanted but he didn't want someone possibly messing things up. The guy is a mechanic and works at a dealership and from the appearance of his cars and trucks, including two dragsters it appears that he is nut about his vehicles. I know tha someone from California is also looking at the boat seriously. What do you guys think I should do, keep looking or take the plunge? I want a good boat and this one is right at the top of my price range. Boats here in AZ usually go for a couple grand over NADA prices and he wants $7500 for this one. I think the swim step looks kind of "gay" also.

EricG
05-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Call me paranoid, but if I asked a seller if I could have a survey done (at my expense) and he said no - I would walk away. I have never personally had one done on anything I have bought (I just go with my own inspection and the feel I get from the seller), but that would raise red flags with me personally.

It is a great looking boat...good luck with your decision.

EG

BUIZILLA
05-26-2004, 06:37 AM
Ryan, based on what you stated about the condition of the boat, the pictures you posted, and the owner's criteria for living, the quality of the boat is a non-issue. Buy it, and enjoy it.

Jim

Dr. Dan
05-26-2004, 06:53 AM
:cool!: I'm with Jim...if it looks solid, runs solid....I am partial to the Color....I would bring a friend with me to look at it....you can get the oil tested if you want a non invasive peace of mind. :embarasse

I had 2 seperate Professionals look at our 22 Classic...it was money well spent....you could always give him a serious deposit contingent on a more detailed look.

Most Sellers see alot of Tire Kickers...when it comes down to "Show Me The Money" all of the sudden ...some random issue pops up....after a few dozen phone calls and a half a dozen "serious buyer test drives" it gets old...when the dude gots no Cash!!!! :banghead:

But it is only a 16 and it should be easy enough to evaluate ...especially if you bring someone with you who has knowledge of boats and their inherent issues....

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted!

Doc :cool!:

gold-n-rod
05-26-2004, 10:42 AM
I think the swim step looks kind of "gay" also.

Well, I'm not sure I know what qualifies a boat accessory to be "gay" (and I have a pretty wild imagination) but here's something to think about.

If you've ever tried to hoist your wife or SO back into a boat that has no swim platform or ladder, you will appreciate the accessory, regardless of its err..... persuasion.

If you plan to do any swimming or sand bar activities with the boat you will soon be glad it was there.

another Randy

Rootsy
05-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Honestly,

although i evaluate the surroundings and the owner when buying something i also give it a thorough going over. If you do not have the knowledge or capacity to do so then you need to at least have someone along who does.

as far as the hull structural integrity, with a 1994 it is probably very good unless it was just totally neglected which the boat appears not to be. visually you can tell if there is fading of the gel, chips, nicks, lots of spyder cracks, blisters, etc. Look in the bilge see how it looks in there also and the transom. Take a look under the dash see if everythng is intact or has it been tampered with and not put back correctly and neatly.

The powertrain is probably going to be your biggest concern. Does the motor fire easily and idle smoothly at rated RPM in gear? any funny noises? does the owner have a history of maintenance? you NEED to run the boat... and make sure that it accelerates through the rpm range without hiccups, etc... does it achieve rated rpm? if not then why? is it overpropped? Do all of the gauges work and are they operatiing in the window in which they should as far as temps, pressures, etc are concerned?

check the sterndrive... visually how does it look? scratches, scars, etc.. paint missing? been repainted? how about the prop? beat up and dinged? or does it look brand spankin new?

you need to watch the ole drive... one good whack can be hid well but lead to troubles down the road... and without disassembly or a good eye and ear it can be hard to tell...

a surveyor will check all of these things... he is a marine mechanic, a structural person, an assessor and a knowledgable boater all tied into one... the guy is going to look it over.. not disassemble things... he is going to crawl into nooks and crannies and evaluate from the outside.. maybe with some special noninvasive tools too...

it si money well spent if you don't possess the capability to do it yourself... and it is in a seller and buyers best interest... it reassures the buyer that the boat is as stated and upholds the asking price.. or it keeps a buyer from being duped by soemone trying to turn something over that is actually hurt...

if he doesn't want to do a survey then i'd want a warranty... and after you buy it take it to a reputable certified marine mechanic and have em go over it...

OR show up with 7500 bucks in hand... and say this is yours if the boat can be surveyed.. if it is as stated then the deal is done.. he knows you are serious then...

just a few thoughts... sure i missed a few...

JR

ryandonzi
05-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all your input, it is greatly appreciated. I plan on taking the boat this weekend and will decide from there. I am taking a friend of friend with who is a "Sea Ray Technician" who will look over the boat for the final time for me. Everything on the boat is original except for the swim step (which I might remove, I only plan on taking 20 something girls on the boat with me and it will be a good excuse to to help them on the boat, LOL). Just from talking with the owner I think the boat must be in pristine condition. He has a 1996 Dodge Neon with 312K miles on it and I couldn't find a scratch on it! He pointed a place on the keil where he did not submerge the trailer and scratched the gel coat. He said it really bothered him so he had fixed and a reciept for the work including a full detail. He keeps faxing me and calling me so I think I am gonna offer him a little less but I am taking the money with me to the lake.

Thanks for all your help!

Ryan

GKricheldorf
05-26-2004, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=He keeps faxing me and calling me so I think I am gonna offer him a little less but I am taking the money with me to the lake.
[/QUOTE]

Ok - DO NOT loose the money in the lake. :bawling: :banghead: :bawling: