PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 290 question

Bigbroadjumper
05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
I am pulling the engines out of my Magnum and I want to refinish the outdrives. The hinge pins seem to be stuck. I have removed the allen bolts that keep them in place but I can't get the pins to move. The have threads and a slot in one end??? They are different then the pins on my 280's and 270 drives I have had in the past. Is there a special way to remove these? They don't appear to have any nylon bushings.

:banghead:

Forrest
05-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Bob, In order to remove the pins, I think that you will need to use a slide hammer with the correct threaded fitting to match the threaded hole in the pins. If the pin is still stuck after usin the slide hammer, you will need to use an oxy-acetelyne welding torch to heat the surrounding aluminum quckly while someone else bangs the slide hammer. It's no fun. Just don't get burned and keep the torch moving so as not to melt the aluminum.

Bigbroadjumper
05-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Should I heat the pin or the area around the pin?

Forrest
05-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Try not to heat the pin. You want to heat the area around the pin so the aluminum will expand away from the stainless-steel pin. Also, don't use a propane torch either. The heat produced from a propane torch is much lower than the heat produced by an oxy-acetelyne torch. You want the aluminum to heat very quickly so as to transmit the least amount of heat to the pin. The surrounding aluminum will take too long to heat if you use a propane torch which will allow time for the heat to transfer to the pin. When that happens, the stainless pin will expand along with the surrounding aluminum and will reamain stuck in the bore.