PDA

View Full Version : Need input on 1987 33' center console hull

bwguardian
05-21-2004, 04:56 PM
I am currently looking at a 1987 center console (cuddy forward) hull. I have not owned a donzi before and am interested in finding out more about these hulls. Some of the questions I have are:

Do these hulls have any potential problems I should look for?

Are the stringers, deck, transom in this hull of wood construction?

What is the fuel capacity?

Any info. on deadrise etc. would be appreciated?

Are these hulls soft, dry, fast riding?

Calm Seas...
Steve

MOP
05-21-2004, 10:31 PM
All boats have basically the same areas to check for problems. Do a walk around take a half dollar with you to tap around all fittings, the drive, stress cracks etc. You should get a sharp tap on all sound surfaces, any dull sounding areas need further inspection. look in as many of the out of sight nooks and crannies. Pop deck plates and sniff for gas fumes, moldy odors and last but not least head odor. Head stink takes awhile to get rid of, even after changing out all the hosing. If it stinks of mold it is possible that wood in rotting, needs a harder look. If the boat is nice try to talk to the seller about making repairs with some help from you, why should you help, well you will have the benefit of new and improve your ability to sell later on. And most of all peace of mind! Look at it really well if you are really sure it looks good. Then call in a competent surveyor. Do compression checks and get oil samples they to me are a must.

Check the listings below should give you all you are looking for.

Phil

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/pl_search_results.jsp?cit=true&slim=quick&sm=3&is=&type=&man=donzi&luom=126&fromLength=32&toLength=34&fromYear=1985&toYear=1990&currencyid=100&fromPrice=&toPrice=

Phil

Team Jefe
05-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Steve - I see you're in Houston :us-texas: . Is this boat close? we have alot of boat buying experience in our little crew on Clear Lake. Some of us could take a look at it with you.

I assume this is an F33. If so, I have no first hand knowledge of the hull, etc. But it should ride similar to the Z33 Crossbow. I have ridden in a couple of those and they ride very nice.

I love my 30ZF, nice hull, strong, takes waves great, but does tend to get you wet in rough seas.

PM Me, Harbormaster, Krakmeup, JimG, River Rat and we can give you a hand. As crazy as Phil is :smile: , I agree with him. Get a Surveyor ! ! ! ! Harbormaster can help with that as well.

harbormaster
05-24-2004, 09:01 AM
I have a good buddy of mine in Clear Lake who is a marine surveyor. (www.broknboat.com) He has also been a marine insurance adjuster for Progressive insurance. He has seen it alot and can help you with an older boat.
Give me a ring on my cell and we'll chat. 713-898-0605

Scot VanAlstine

bwguardian
05-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys, this boat is actually out of state. My father and brother in law are in the general area and I might get them to take a look for me to see anything obvious. I can guide them on the phone with detailed observations. I was mainly interested to see what the performance of the hull would be like in addition to knowing some more info. on the hull and possibly some problem areas to look for or expects.

Fish boy
05-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Specifications:
LOA- 33' 4"
Beam 8' 6"
Draft to keel 18"
Average freeboars 34"
Weight (boat only) 4200lbs
Average cockpit depth 28"
Fule capacity 270 gal
Freshwater capacity 30 gal

Performane will depend on what motors are on it right now unless you plan on repowering. If you are not, I would take a gauge and check the compression on all cylinders, look at the block for any welds around the cylinders, and service history if available. If you are not really mechanically inclined, in addition to the recommended survey above, I would also take a mechanic with you.

What power is on it right now?

THese are fantastic running boats, dry and soft in pretty much any weather you throw at it.They are not as fast as the newer stepped hull models though. I would not expect to see much over the mid 60's no matter what power you put on it, and likely it will be closer to high 50's (again depending on power, set-up, props...) This is more like an escalade than a ferarri, but when the waves kick up, sit back and enjoy the comfort of one of the best built fishing boats anywhere.

Fish

Donzigo
07-24-2004, 07:47 AM
..........What they said.

It's a great hull.

Donzigo
07-24-2004, 07:48 AM
..........What they said.

It's a great hull.

Where is the boat?

Fish boy
07-24-2004, 07:55 AM
if you are still looking, here is one donzi f33 (http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=490168#post490168)

fish

DeepSouthF33
11-17-2004, 02:31 PM
I have an 87' F33 -I keep it in Seabrook,Tx - If you live close-you can come for a ride-It rides great-40mph through 4-5 footers---it has twin 250 Evinrudes with extra long shafts(30") and it tops out at about 53mph----it really handles great---when looking at outboard boats always be weary of the transoms - stringers, transom is made of wood-the deck has foam underneath it---the beam on these boats is 9' not 8' 6"-fuel capacity is 295gallons - the fiberglass on the boats is crosslinked-dont know if that is good or bad? --I love mine

Donzigo
12-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Who do you think was riding in this boat inthe poster pciture. ...............It doesn't look like Kathy G, whew, and I thought she was in every picture back then........

Fish boy
12-09-2004, 08:41 AM
she was under the console.. LOL ;)

ToonaFish
12-11-2004, 10:50 AM
she was under the console.. LOL ;)

:biggrin: :) :smileybo: :) :biggrin:

Footloose
01-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I have had my F33 for seven years and run it mostly off shore in south florida. Very strong hull - I have blasted through the worst weather coming home from Keys and Bimini in it and never felt unsafe. She does run a little wet and you need to keep her as level as possible to maintain a smooth ride into chop. Tankage is close to 300 gallons, I added a 70 gallon fresh water tank for transom shower. Even with twin 200 hp 2-strokes of 91 vintage (rebuilt 100 hours ago), full water and full fuel, and half a dozen guests she gets up on plane well, cruisses in the mid 25 knot range and tops out at over 40.

The cuddy is really more for camping than anything else. It sleeps three (vee birth and coffin bunk). Mine has a porta potty, small sink, and bar cabinet which keeps things nice and simple. $ port windows are nice to have but due to the shape of the hull -when at anchor you get very little fresh air ... I made some rubber "scoops" that you slip though the port holes and they draw more air in for sleeping/napping in hot florida.

Only reason I'm selling mine is I wanted a bigger boat that 5 people can spend a week on (which down here means, A/C, generator, more head room, and more bunks. Going to miss her simplicity and awesome "lines".

Fish boy
01-25-2005, 09:12 AM
I have an 87' F33 ----the beam on these boats is 9' not 8' 6"-

are you sure?

Footloose
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
I have a donzi F33 1990-91 vintage and it is 9'6" per the spec sheet. I've never actually measured it. My 2 cents.

Fish boy
01-26-2005, 03:48 AM
I have a donzi F33 1990-91 vintage and it is 9'6" per the spec sheet. I've never actually measured it. My 2 cents.

Hey Footloose, the 90-91 is an OMC boat built by different ownership than the 1987 originally asked about. I honestly do not know too much about the OMC f33, however, the OMC f23's are extremely different from the their predecessors.

fish

Fish boy
01-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Poodle, the more I think about it, you are probably right about it being a typo, especially since I beleive my 23 has an 8'6" beam. the 23 is a wide boat but...

do you know what the z33 is? I beleive don westerman started with the same hull for the f33 (like he used the z-25 for the f23).

fish

DeepSouthF33
04-21-2005, 08:08 PM
are you sure?

yes I have that same original brochure - mine says 8'6" in the same place -then at the back where the specs are it says 9'0"-it used the same lower mold more or less as the Z33--somebody around here said they have the blueprints-or I guess I could get off my lazy Ass and go outside with a measuring tape

Donzigo
04-27-2005, 01:49 AM
I think the 8.6 is probably right; because of trailering restrictions on some roads being 8.6. Does that make any sense?

Richard

FredJohn
07-18-2005, 12:30 PM
I have same questions.

I have a deposit on a 1990 F-33 w/twin 225 johnsons (1990)

survey is this Wednesday in St.Clair Shores, Mi

thanks, FredJohn