PDA

View Full Version : 1998 donzi 22 zx

wilmeth
05-20-2004, 07:57 PM
I have recently purcased a 1998 donzi 22 zx what are the pros and cons with this boat and is the step hull dangerous?

rayjay
05-21-2004, 06:54 AM
I have recently purcased a 1998 donzi 22 zx ... is the step hull dangerous?

My lawyer says I can not answer that without a release... (LOL)

ALL boats, no matter what type of boat or hull configuration, are dangerous depending on who is controlling them, just like motorcycles, cars, planes, jet skis, pwc's ... (ad nauseum). Stepped V-type hulls in general have their own quirks that differ from design to design and have to be learned by the person who is going to use the boat. Get someone who is familiar with your type of boat, the stepped 22 ZX in your case, to show you the quirks and, most important, what not to do and what to do when you (hopefully accidentally) do what you are not supposed to do (because you will).

There are some great posts in this registry about stepped hulls and high performance piloting. Look them up and read them, but that is no substitute for getting seat time under your belt. I will tell you exactly what I told my teenage daughter when she was starting to drive, teenage (or new) drivers have a double whammy against them which is why they are dis-proportionately involved in accidents. They haven't learned how not to get into trouble and they don't have the experience to get out of it when they do. I took her to a "new" drivers school given by the BMW Owners Club. Sliding around on a wet skid pad and doing panic decision making and braking while riding with someone capable of teaching her what to do (and what not to do) was invaluable to her driving safety and to my piece of mind.

rayjay

Dr. Dan
05-21-2004, 07:05 AM
:wavey: LiL Grizzly, Bryan Tuvell and Frank C.... have had alot of seat time in this hull style.....they can highlight on specific cautions and benefits of your new roadster.... :pimp:

Doc :smash:

Murse
05-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Congrats Wilmeth on the purchase. I too am a new owner of a 99 22xz. Pros to the boat are numerous. This is by far one of the best boats I have ever owned. Handling is a little different. I only trim the drive up 1/4 way or less. Any more and my speed drops. The trim tabs are a little tricky. It takes the boat a few seconds to react. As you will find, you just have to spend time with her and learn how to please her so she will please you. You have to give to get. :yes: Be careful not to make high speed sharp turns without the nose of the boat up. I've been told she can spin out if she catches the nose. The Cons to the 22zx are Not being able to take her out every day, having to wait untill all the lookers are out of the way on the boat ramp to launch her, having to wait for your friends with other boats to catch up (this is always a good time to have a beer), long cold winters are another con to haveing such a great boat. Have a great summer, love your new toy and she will love you back. :cool: