PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 33ZX 470 vs 415

RHMUIR
05-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Narrowed my boat shopping down to the 33 zx. Dropped the Sonic 358 as contender. Need a little advice on best engine(425, 470 carb or 470 efi) Seems like with some insurance companies total over 1000 hp is tough to insure. If speed is not my top priority but reliability and insurance premiums are, what do you experienced boaters think. Any advice appreciated

Bob

Shanghied Again
05-20-2004, 04:46 PM
The big question is speed or not, The 470s will take you into the 80s and the 415s you will run around 72mph. And yes Insurance looks at the 500s because they are rated as racing motors.

Dr. Dan
05-20-2004, 06:56 PM
:bighug: Bob....Check out "Undertakers 33 ZX " for sale...it has extremely low hours...it has 496 HO's and is clean as a whistle....he is motivated to sell and I know you could get a great deal....I believe it is posted in the For Sale Section here, OSO and on Speed wake...

Good Luck...I love the 33 and 38 ....its a Yacht compared to my little toy....

Doc :smash:

Extreme Measures
05-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Bob Ann and I just purchased a 33ZX late last year we only had it about a month before it was time to put it away for the winter.It has a pair of 502's,Frank is right on the money with the speed 72.Sofar we love it can't wait for those hot hot days so we can use the air cond.at bed time.
Your Friends In Boating

Extreme Measures

mjpcowboy
05-21-2004, 09:22 AM
I have had a 33ZX with 502's and now have one with 500 EFI's. I personally would not consider a 33 without at least 500's, the boat simply does not wake up enough for me with less power. I can run in the very high 70's every day and can often see the low 80's with the right conditions.
Insurance is no problem to get with the 500's. Power above that is sometimes hard to get insured.
Just my $.02

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-21-2004, 10:46 PM
UNDERTAKERS boat is a sweet deal, BUT, Typhoon is now advertising the Donzi 33ZX with T 496HO's for 149K, as Donzi said to many they would offer in 04.
For 5k more you get a new 04 or 05 (after 1 July) boat.

Me personally, after testing a 33ZX with 500's would say that is the way to go. I won't dispute numbers but she was high 70's at 5000 rpm in chop.
The 33ZX is a BIG HEAVY boat, I also towed one this week in my F250 PSD.
I hope you have a lift or dock, not an every day fun time to tow one and launch it. Just my opinion.
Bryan

RHMUIR
05-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Research and these webs replies lean toward the 500. With Donzi new at 150 k a lot of asking prices seem high. I checked out Boat Trader and got prices of 105k to 130k for 1998 to 2001 loaded boats. Got two insurance quotes of 1500 form United and 5400 from Boats US(Don't believe they want to insure HP boats.) I also ran across one with 540 "Bulldogs". Any opinions on this engine,

Bob

undertaker
05-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Correct me if I am wrong (Frank) but the donzi promo on the 2004 33ZX w/ 496 HO does not include air conditioning, freight, water heater, and Z Care warranty, etc. IMO the 33ZX with 496 HO with fresh water cooling compared to 500 efi the only difference I saw when I tested both was only at top end ( I run 74 mph with 496 HO's) and maybe a little in the mid range. The out of the hole was the same the 33ZX is a heavy boat and does not get out of the hole very well know matter what engine is selected. IMO the $, fuel consumption and warranty issue difference between the 496 and 500 is not worth it. If you want the best set up on the 33ZX I would go with the 525 efi you will get big top end and all around performance. :moped:

One a side note my insurance is 1700.00 per year on my 2002 33ZX with the 496 HO's the 500 efi got to be a lot more because they are racing motors. :eek:

Good luck in your decision I have emailed you about my boat give me a call and we can discuss it :wavey:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-22-2004, 09:43 AM
UNDERTAKER, good points, especially on the Z Care issue, which I seem to be the only one that has had good luck with them. The Z Care was a $ 20K mark up.
As far as air and hot water goes, there is room to negotiate on price even at $149. I know Frank won't list cost but I am pretty clear on what the dealers get them for.
I am surprised yours hasn't sold yet, we watch all you posts, I would certainly love to own your boat but after towing one this week would think twice. Unless it was a deal of a lifetime.
Good Luck on the sale. Very nice boat.
Bryan

Dr. Dan
05-22-2004, 10:01 AM
:beer: Bryan....I think the harsh reality ...is when we start out with smaller boats that are easily Towed...we get spoiled with the availabilty of such freedom to Tow where we want!!

When going thru my mid life crisis late last year I looked at some nice larger boats...and I too got a dose of reality when I had to recognize that once you get to the much heavier hulls...its just easier to store on a lift like Ed does and drop it in when ya go boating. The downside if there is one is you have limits on your cruising area....

I have found few people that Tow as much as us Donzi Lunatics do...just to go to an Event...most Tow much shorter distances...and still far fewer Tow like Digger such a heavy hull....it requires alot...alot of vehicle if nothing else....the mass of those things is something to be reckoned with when ya try to stop quickly. :spongebob

I think once ya get up there in weight...in Donzis I'd say anything over a 28...it is a handful. Most people don't own Dual Axles....and or have the need to Tow such a large boat serious distances. When I followed Tim Whites beautiful 33 Daytona down to the owners rally....I am following a Dual Axle Dura Max...and it is an awesome set up...but the Total Package is like $250,000 crusing down the road.... :bonk:

Out of my league...but very nice to look at....he has 500 EFI's in his. Ed is right if ya got it...do it with the 525's....it would wake it up to what an owners expectations are.

Meanwhile ...I am stuck in my little very towable, highly flexible....considrably more economical...commuter runabout....with an HP500 EFI tucked under the hatch :biggrin.:

Good Luck ...I think this period is the most exciting...it's like Donzi Foreplay.... :eek!:

Doc :spongebob

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-22-2004, 03:56 PM
DOC, great post, I hear ya.... The F250 PSD did fine, just a big adjustment driving, and yes stopping is a chore.
A 33 is not in our future at the moment anyway, when I say retire, I mean retire. Jan 06 will be here soon enough.
Maybe by then I will be able to keep a Bravo I on my boat, that runs that is...

As far as 525's go, I could tell you a DONZI 38 525 story that would make your skin crawl. But I won't air his laundry, he will when he is ready. I just hope to see that Donzi back in our club soon.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
05-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Hey Bryan let me guess, Did it Litterly melt a piston?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-23-2004, 07:28 PM
No, not that simple....
call me and I will tell ya, won't speak for our friend in this forum.
Bryan

mjpcowboy
05-24-2004, 12:31 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with Undertaker on only gaining top end with the 500's. I had over one hundred hours on my 33 with 502's and have 120 hours with 500 EFI's. Everything about it is faster from getting on plane, mid-range, and top end. It will blast past a 33 with less power out of the hole.
The boat feels completely different with this power. Big dollar difference in the price of the motors but it is worth it to me.
As for the insurance I pay $870 for a $2500 deductible for a 2001 33ZX with 500's with a stated value of $165K.

undertaker
05-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Is that $870.00 per year :eek!:

mjpcowboy
05-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Yes it is $870 per year for $2500 deductible. Other options were $640 for 5K and $1300 for $500 deductible. This is through American National.

undertaker
05-24-2004, 06:25 PM
could you give me the other specific amounts on your policy for example:

Property Damage, Liability, Medical, Uninsured boater, & personal property

Mine are:
Property damage $168,000
Liability $300,000
Medical $10,000
Uninsured boater $300,000
Personal property $5,000
Amt. of deductable $1,680.00

That yearly number is incredible and would like to get a quote for myself if possible. :D

mjpcowboy
05-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Limits:

$165K stated value boat
$2500 deductible
$300K liability
10% value of boat personal property
Uninsured $300K

I have had prices quoted between $870 and $3500 for the same limits of liability from other carriers with a much larger deductible. For example National Marine Underwriters $3300 deductible $6K collision $24,900 theft and I could not tow it since it is over 8'6" wide unless I hire a professional delivery company. A buddy of mine has a 2001 28ZX insured through State Farm and his premium is around $400. Most marine only insurance carriers seem to really kill you on the premium.

undertaker
05-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Do you have a High Performance insurance policy? And what top speed did you tell the insurance company the boat ran. The exact name of the insurance company is American General Ins. Co. because I am not coming up with anything when I do a search :smash: This premium sounds to good to be true and would like to get a quote from the same company.

undertaker
05-25-2004, 10:59 AM
Sorry not American General Ins. Co. I mean American National Ins. Co. :boggled:

mjpcowboy
05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
The company is American National or An Pac as their policy reads. Yes they do know the boat is a performance boat and reaches high 70's to low 80's.
State Farm is also within a hundred dollars for the policy.
If you need anything else, please let me know.
Thanks, Rick

Shanghied Again
05-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Undertaker: Yes the $149,000 special does not have a hwh or AC it does have everything else including custom grafic package. There is no more Z care on any of the boats but we through in a 3 Year Merc upgrade with the price. The 525 Boat is 10MPH faster then the 496 Boat. Tops out at 82 if you run the egde like I do I will squeeze another 2 mph out oh her.
Bryan: There is not much room to work on the 33ZX unless you order a base boat . The 149.000 special is on a selected 33ZX with the package. This was Donzis answer to the 35 Fountain Executioner at 149,000 and believe me it worked we sold 6 33ZXs so far this year and we only sold 1 last year before the special sale, Big Difference. some dealers will throw in some goodies but if anyone can,t sell the 33 at that price someting is wrong:

Digger
05-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Bob what will you be using for a tow vehicle? what trailer are you considering?

Some good points have been made here concerning towing the larger boat. I made a conscious decision 4 yrs ago that buying a larger boat would not prevent me from towing it where I want to go. That makes tow vehcle and trailer key factors of the equation, unless you plan on keeping the boat at one location in some rack storage or lift deal. However not being able to tow your own boat is a hamstrung position I would never want to find myself in.

The 33ZX is a great choice IMHO. If you want to tow it here are a couple thoughts.

1. It is illegal in 50 states to tow it, unless you have a CDL and a wide load permit from every state in which you plan to tow it. It is 9'3" wide. Max limit is 8'6". That being said, I have never been pulled over in any of the 15 states in which I haved towed mine. I'm just making the point for arguments sake.

2.. you really need to be on your game when you're towing it. with Guide poles on a trailer you will be right at 9'6"-9'8" wide all together, which means you have very little margin for error from lane to lane. That being said for the long haul a dually is the only way to go for this boat, it will give a much more stable ride.

3. don't be too concerned about "hole shot" performance. You're not driving a drag boat, you're driving something that has all the comforts of a reasonably appointed home, which is designed to be driven through offshore conditions.... in other words it weighs a pantload, and unless you have a bottomless wallet take it easy on the sticks coming up out of the hole or you will eat drives.

Good luck on your purchase, have fun!

undertaker
05-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Well said Digger :biggrin: I agree with you all the way.

Frank thanks for the info :) What would your suggestion be on selling my 33ZX. :redface:

I have to check to this insurance thing I will be in touch cowboy if any other info is needed. I appreciate the info you have given so far :bighug:

RickSE
05-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Wow, American National just beat out Progressive on a quote for my 2002 22-Classic SE.

$1,000 deductible
$300K liability
$50K property damage
$5,000 medical payments

$479/year

Progressive was $598/year with the same coverage but only $1,000 medical payments.

My high quote was $2,100/year and low is National at $479.

Mjpcowboy,
I'm assuming you have not had any problems with American National. This is the first I've heard of them. I like their classic car coverage and they are also quoting my 65 Cutlass Convertible.

mjpcowboy
05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
I have had American National for over 9 years and have had no problems with them at all. I have had two claims for autos during that time and everything was settled in a very timely manner.

Another positive about this company is if you go 5 years claim free you get a portion of your premium back.

The national claims number is 800-333-2860 which you could call to possibly get an agents number in your area.
Hope this helps.
Rick :rlol:

undertaker
06-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Cowboy, thanks for the info the only problem I have is my boat is kept in Maryland and American National does not have an agent in Maryland thus I can not get a quote :bawling: Thank you anyway.