PDA

View Full Version : Digger Needs A New Rear

ToonaFish
05-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Just heard from Digger... he's stuck in East Bumble, TN (NW of Kingsport) with a bum rear (differential, if you insist). Unless one of you guys can pull a long distance McGyver, it looks like he'll be pulling into Jamestown late late Thursday or early Friday.

A moment of silence please for our fallen comrade...

And I'm outta here....

Bunches,

Celene "wishing she'd serviced the lil BMW's rear"

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
DIGGER is fine in Greenville TN. Truck is at a Ford dealer, needs rear end bearings and some other stuff etc, he will be there soon.
The dealer is taking good care of him.

I towed his boat in my PSD yesterday, that is one hell of a load! Gotta love the diesel power.

Hey TUNA, is 3 July still a go? Drive down or we'll try to get you here! Need to know soon so you have a place to sleep!
Bryan

Fish boy
05-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Just heard from Digger... he's stuck in East Bumble, TN (NW of Kingsport) with a bum rear (differential, if you insist). Unless one of you guys can pull a long distance McGyver, it looks like he'll be pulling into Jamestown late late Thursday or early Friday.

A moment of silence please for our fallen comrade...

And I'm outta here....

Bunches,

Celene "wishing she'd serviced the lil BMW's rear"

Toona,
I am sure Digger will be elated to know you are trying to give him a hand on his rear end. ;)

ToonaFish
05-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Fortunately, between the small town service department and his new friends at the rest stop, he was in far more, ahem, skilled hands than mine...

Ranman
05-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Ay DIggah! Don't dry ya hands more than once or I'll have to lay some pipe! :jestera:

Hope you make it home safe. We had a ball hangin with ya!

Digger
05-24-2004, 11:37 PM
just got home. 13 1/2 hrs, not too bad. Truck pulled like a raped ape. No issues. Having a cocktail and off to the rack.

Will post tomorrow. for now, suffice to say, AOTH IV did not suck.
:)

Digger
05-25-2004, 03:42 PM
here's the rest of the rear end story;

Around 1 PM Wednesday I was making my way down I-81 in Tennessee, fat dumb and happy. I was jammin to the XM radio for some time and when I turned the volume down I heard an unfamiliar mid pitch whine coming from what sounded like under the truck. I pulled over at the next rest area which was very close by, parked, and got under the truck. The differential was smoking.

That was a bad moment.

I got a wrecker on the way, but I had to leave the boat behind which was something I had a huge problem with but I was stuck. Fortunately the nearest Ford shop was only about 15 miles away, in Greenville TN. Don Smith Ford. If you are ever in the area stop by the service dept and tell 'em Digger sent ya. They are very nice people and did their best to help me out, which they did very well. The input pinion bearing was close to failure. Which means I came uncomfortably close to an absolute nightmare had that rear end siezed with 14,000 lbs behind the truck at 70 mph. I got a little rental car and waited for them to to do the work while I hung out with the boat.

I got on the road again at 1 PM Friday with a rebuilt rear end and a very thorough familiarity with the I-81 Baileyton rest area. Thanks to all for your cards and letters and offers of help while I was stuck, it brightened my day more than you all know when my cell phone rang during that time.