PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra vs. Merc Drives

BLACKIE
05-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Replied to a thread this morning regarding changing drive oil and it got me thinking. I've been reading a lot of threads on this board regarding drives and I've noticed a trend. My observations are based on some of the comments I've read concerning the two different outdrives. It seems that the merc drives are prone to breakage more often than the OMC drives. Some of the comments on the KC drives lead me to believe that they are more reliable and smoother in operation. Is this true or is it because there is so many more merc drives in service than OMC's? Or could it be because some of the merc owners are harder on the equipment than others? Any comments?

MOP
05-18-2004, 03:46 PM
The KC is more of a Volvo hybrid than an OMC drive, the Kings have proved very reliable. There are quite a few out there with 460 Fords and 454 Chevy blocks that just seem to do just fine even with 500+ HP. I think OMC teamed up with Volvo to late to save there butt in the market place. Not to say Merc does not have some really good drives but the standard Mercs are worrisome. My Volvo clients love there drives and so does most every member with one, OMC would have been sucked right into the fray. I will be running a Black drive for the first time in many years and it does concern me, it is a low hour Blackhawk but not upgraded so it will be babied until winter then done over.

Phil

BLACKIE
05-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your candid comments Phil. Being relatively new to the Donzi world I'm just trying to get a feeling of what to expect with my KC drive. I just purchased my 18' from RedDog last November and have not had a chance to drive it yet this season. In fact I have not driven it since I went for a test ride with RedDog before I bought it. I've just started de-winterizing it this week.

I guess I should be glad I have the KC based on merc's track record of late. I'm going to have to locate a competent shop (for parts & if anything goes wrong) here in Southeast Michigan (St. Clair Shores). Anyone out there know who to go to on Lake St. Clair?