PDA

View Full Version : Got a Donzi!

Knute
05-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Back in March I posted several questions about buying a '99 18 Classic with black stripes that was in the Baltimore area. Well I finally got it back to OH several weeks ago and I've been working my butt off since then trying to get it presentable for AOTH! I've now got the deck polished (3M Finesse-It II), the stainless polished, the underside of the hatch painted, the outdrive painted, detailed and cylinder's rebuilt, a Seafire automatic extinguisher installed and a "custom" swivel setup for the passenger seat installed. Whew!

By Sunday it was looking pretty good so we took it down to the river for a shake down run and everything worked fine! I hadn't heard it run yet so I had my fingers crossed! Actually, the water pump seal must be going because it was dripping a little but I think it will make it through AOTH. Oh, and the cockpit cover blew off on the highway! I should be able to tow with it on shouldn't I? Am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the advice and encouragement! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you at AOTH!

Kent

Tomahawk
05-18-2004, 05:52 AM
Way to go Kent - the boat looks great. I like the looks of the 18 with the windshield. The cover is more trouble than it's worth for towing - unless you get some special snaps or fasteners per Madpoodle. I travel topless with no problem. Do I detect an affection for Penton and Husky? You're among friends! See you in Jamestown.

DONZI
05-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Congratulations !
Here"s a pic of the Lift the Dots.They work great.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_411_A_SubCatID_E_448 _A_ProdID_E_3301

Sam
05-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Who needs a stinking cover ! just bring that bad boy down, see ya there.

Sam :rlol:

Rootsy
05-18-2004, 07:18 AM
covers blowing off sucks... i replaced the male snaps on the boat this spring.. so far so good... hope she makes it to kentucky and back.. my seat cushions also love to become airborne above 70 :banghead: guess it is time to employ some velcro :rolleyes:

I donno what sam is talking about he has a kick butt custom full cover for his 16... talk about the cat's ass...

Audiofn
05-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Knute that is one hell of a collection of bikes. Reminds me of MrMagoos basement. You 2 HAVE to talk :D:D

olredalert
05-18-2004, 09:02 AM
--------Anybody who has seen Desmonds 100+ X18 and his rear seat attachment methods should get a laugh out of this thread............Bill S

Knute
05-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips on keeping the cover on! After I get back from AOTH I'll look into the HD and Lift-the-Dot snaps. I think my dad used the Lift the Dots for the tonneau on our new '68 El Camino when I was a kid. As I recall they held on real good at high speeds! :biggrin.:

Tomahawk - good call on the Huskys and Pentons! I try to limit my collecting to them only but you know how that goes! All of the other bikes are out of view in that photo...Rickman, Doodlebug, big twin, little twin, desmo twin, Hercules, DKW, etc., etc. Yep, I have a little "problem"! :bonk:

MP and Audiofn - I wish my wife used kind words like "collection"! Actually, she's a good sport about the bikes. Now the cars are a different story...

Thanks again! Have a safe trip to they lake! Can't wait to meet all of you!

Kent

RedDog
05-19-2004, 06:25 AM
These are the snap I used with good results - http://canvasdealer.com/snap_fasteners_pullthedot.asp