PDA

View Full Version : C18C15 Goes to NH

mphatc
05-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Roadtrip day !!! left Concord NH at 4 am today, drove to Jefferson, NY to pick her up!

Score ! I bought this boat sight unseen, going by what I read here,and a long conversation with the seller, and it was everything I expected, just better!

Yes, It has sat outside for years uncovered, the upholstery is wasted, the foot box has been removed and there is no drive, but air was still in the tires, the lights on the trailer all worked instantly, a few pumps of grease to the wheel bearings, a new tie strap across the stern, an old 1992 license plate from NJ and away we went!

Five hours later we were back in NH, with the boat safely in a clean dry garage . . . boring, roadtrips like this are supposed to have some adventure! This was too smooth!

The hull is faded, but a good wet sand and it will shine again, the deck was repainted a long time ago, and is peelling in a few places, we'll strip that and regelcoat it. The engine is a 351, boat came with a 302 H&M, but all the important H&M parts are there, except the crosshead water tube, I suspect the original one from the 302 didn't fit the 351's different deck height and head to head distance.

And for the first time I got to see the original Corsica decal, though very tattered . . see images

Needless to say I'm tickled pink with the acquisition !

Now the work begins . .after C18 32 is back together. I'm sure this adventure will make up for the smooth ride home in the next few months . . years . .

Mario

Mr X
05-17-2004, 07:29 PM
WOW!
great find, thanks for sharing the pics. CONGRATS!!!
I have never seen one of the Corsica decals either.

Digger
05-17-2004, 07:37 PM
cool! congrats and good luck!

Bug
05-17-2004, 07:59 PM
VERY NICE !!! My first Donzi was a Corsica same color scheme
from New Jersey (Toms River area) and had the name
"Flying Cloud" on the sides.It was powered by a 289 Holman/
Moody V-Drive. Best of Luck with her. Enjoy the ride!!!
Ken

mphatc
05-17-2004, 08:04 PM
This boat come from the Tom's River area , last registered there in 1990!

Mario L.
two Corsicans in need of my time!!! HELP!

Lenny
05-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Mario, after "many" posts on your part, and the "depth" to which your present resto is "sucking you in", I can't believe you got another !!! :D :D :D ...now you are truly addicted and there is no hope. Welcome aboard. :D I too, have NEVER seen one of those decals. Very nice. What was the drive? 270 or 280?

Bug
05-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I brought her down to Atlantic City in 1978-79 and when I sold
it she ended up getting painted Emron Black on Black, The last time I saw her was in a dock around Sea Isle City about
10 years ago.

mphatc
05-17-2004, 08:17 PM
While picking up C18 C15 today and seeing the remains of the original CORSICA decal I was again inspired to search a bit more for the symbol and it's meaning.

I thought I'd share it here.

The Moor's Head flag can be seen here:

http://flagspot.net/flags/fr-co.html#flag

a bit of words that I've read in numerous places

"In its original purity, the Moor's head is "right hand", "of sand", "lively", "twisted", without any necklace or pendants, and cut round the neck"

now that we have an image we'll be reproducing the decal . .

Mario L.

1996Z15
05-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Bug I think I remember seeing your Corsican on a trailer in Ventnor Heights. It was all black, V-Drive and at the time I had no idea what I was looking at.
Did you still own it when it was black or had you sold it by then? I seem to recall that the boat was owned by a guy by the name of Carmen?
I bet you wish you still had that one.

Bug
05-17-2004, 08:25 PM
It was still original when I sold her.I know it was around here for a while.Sure do wish I held onto her a "Gem"

Bug
05-17-2004, 08:30 PM
I read a story here last week about a Donzi that was in the Presidental Parade from the Johnson Admin.Well I heard the same story about the Corisca's being made for that reason.
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this story?

olredalert
05-18-2004, 12:01 AM
--------Congratulations, Mario!!!!!!!!!!! If it wasnt so late Id dig right into the questions. As a starting place, what serial number is she? must be fairly early as the only other I know of with the DONZI script is No.1. Solid deck color is a bit unusual as well. The original drive must have been a 250. Gee, where would you find one of those? this boat dovetails into you and yours very well indeed. Get us more pics. We must have more pics! Oh yah, hows the windshield? I had to ask................Bill S

Dr. Dan
05-18-2004, 05:34 AM
:smash: Awesome find Mario.....I can't wait .... to hear all of the details....Good Luck

Glad the Trip was uneventful...

Doc :bighug:

Audiofn
05-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Dimond in the ruff (litterally :D ) Looks to be a great project. How did you find it? Keep us posted with pictures.

Jon

Tom Davis
05-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Nice find Mario! Once you get the other one back together, you can start in on #2, but at least you will have one in the water while you take your time on the other. Good Luck. Will you have #1 in the water for the Poker Run?

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits

BUIZILLA
05-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Looks like a good candidate for a DPX transplant.... :biggrin:

J :cistineb:

mattyboy
05-18-2004, 09:02 AM
neat boat, good luck Mario! ;)
it must be an optical illusion that's a classic 18 hull right???with the bubble deck it looks much deeper

Matty
in New York the state with one less Donzi :)

MOP
05-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Great find for next winters project, now to find an original Rocket for it to sit on. Best of luck and labor!

Phil

rayjay
05-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Obviously there is only one way to control an addiction, feed it more! :smash:

Good luck with a great find.

rayjay

Woodsy
05-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Mario, Mario, Mario...

How the hell are you gonna hide THAT?? Congrats on the new ride!

Woodsy Von Outboard

mphatc
05-18-2004, 08:19 PM
Bill, Woodsy and everyone else . .

No need to hide it !
Linda supported this venture! Probably cause if I'm working on this she knows where I am . . .

This boat was found right here on this board, via JWCall. He found the boat in a local NY classified guide, and after looking at it decided it wasn't his cup of tea . . . Thank You JW!! The beers are on me!

I contacted the owner, who offered it to me at the same price JW drove him down to, pretty fair guy I might say! I immediatly sent him a deposit, and made arrangements to drive to NY.

Bill, I think you'll be surprised. Many Corsicans have the metal script above the letters, actually mine is the first one that I've seen that does not have it! There is a yellow and white boat here in NH, in rough shape that has the letters and has no stripe/color on the raised portion of the deck. The first Corsican I ever saw has a white deck and green hull with script. My impression is that the script was only used until 1968, but this boat is titled a 1969.

C18-C15 is in need of work . . the foot box is missing, the deck has been painted, the windshield is fractured, upholstery rotted and there is no drive. we'll be doing a deck off, converting it back to a 302 and a Volvo, while restoring the rest back to original specs and hardware. Time table, launch spring 2005 . . . Should be a piece of cake, as I am completing mine now.

We need to find a few of the original parts. .like the hand rails on the ski lockers, Teleflex gauges, white SS steering wheel, Morse control that is not pitted, H&M coolant pipe from head to head, but most everything is there!

The hull was stored bow high and was covered until ~ a year ago . . the owner was in his words . . . "away for a couple of years" . . . .everything on site had registrations that expired in 1990 . . . I suspect he has stories to tell :eek: :wink:

But the water could drain out , nothing was clogged with leaves and debris under deck, just in the cockpit.
In a week or two we'll try to start the 351, IF it runs I may install my old Volvo 250 as is and give her a run for ****s and giggles before we take her apart!

Mario
now back to work on C18 C32

JWCall
05-18-2004, 09:13 PM
mphatc I'm sorry I didnt get those pics to you. It looks like it turned out alright though. I'm happy that you ended up with it. I sure would have loved a corsican but I just never saw myself actually getting that thing pieced back together. You on the other hand will already have done it all once and the second time will be easy. Enjoy the boat!

MOP
05-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Hmmm! She Approves! Me thinks maybe another Powder Puff Captain may be in the back of Linda's mind! LOL

Phil

mphatc
05-19-2004, 08:42 AM
I could only be so lucky, Linda wants a Scarab, one of the early ~30' long versions, narrow, with the squarish cockpit surround . . . pre Miami Vice era

I like smaller toys and more of them . . .

My theory:

big toys, big money, hard to swallow expenses, no way to hide expenses!

small toys, smaller bills, easier to hide the $$$ spent . . and I can have more of them!

So I guess I do hide something :shades:

Mario

PS, how many more Donzi's do I need to acquire to catch up to MadPoodle??? :wink:

MOP
05-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Mario I don't know about the smaller toy thing! My smaller toy is eating $$$ and will still be only fair cosmetically and hopefully a decent running boat. Bottom work 80% done, engine work 70% with 95% of parts in hand. Also a ton of niggly piggly crap to attend to.

Phil