PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate "Woodie"

Fish boy
05-17-2004, 06:41 AM
If I had to get a non-donzi boat... I think this would have to be at the top of the short list. This is the alpha-z, designed by Michael Peters and built by Van Dam Wood Craft.

fuel injected 572 cu. in. offshore V-8, producing over 800 horsepower

Length overal 32' - 9"
Length to bustle 30' - 9"
Beam max. 8'-0"
Displacement 6500 lbs. (half load)

alpha z (http://www.vandamwoodcraft.com/frames/zpress.html)

Not sure the price, but it is probably better that way... ;)

Fish boy
05-17-2004, 06:43 AM
a few more...

Fish boy
05-17-2004, 06:44 AM
last set...

pmreed
05-17-2004, 06:58 AM
I found this on the builder's website:

Quote:
"Van Dam Wood Craft completed the 31 ft. Alpha Z in the fall of 1998. From her curved mahogany lines to her custom fabricated drivetrain, she is the epitome of craftsmanship and engineering. Designed by Michael Peters yacht Design, the boat is a stunning example of the level to which wooden boats can ascend.

In typical Van Dam style, Alpha Z is built to the highest standards in modern laminated construction. The 3/4" hull bottom is double-planked with two layers of Okoume plywood. The third skin is Honduras mahogany, hand selected for both grain pattern and color.

A custom fabricated windshield defines the front of the cockpit. Its compound curves are made from a double layer of 1/4" glass. There is no frame of any sort, and it is held in place by a fiberglass retaining ring under the dash.

From a distance the dash looks as though it is painted, but on closer inspected the grain comes through the dark stain, and reveals a single piece of hand-carved mahogany. The center console houses a t.v. monitor, stereo display, switches for the boat's operation, and storage. The cockpit sides sweep back into custom fabricated leather seats. In the front the seats were placed in a polished stainless steel frame. They are power actuated to adjust for comfort, and their backs swing down into a dining and beverage tray.

The floor of the cockpit is covered with both varnished mahogany and stainless steel perforated plate. Directly underneath are bladder tanks holding 110 gallons of fuel. Getting to the engine compartment is easy. A single push of a button will lift and roll back the engine hatch. A second push will close it.

Alpha Z is equipped with an exquisitely detailed 572 cubic inch fuel injected offshore V-8, custom built by Keith Eichert Power Products. As with the construction of the boat, the showcase engine istallation required an extremely high level of engineering and attention to detail. Every item attached to the engine block itself was custom engineered, fabricated, and mirror polished by Van Dam Wood Craft for this specific installation. A notable example of this level of detail is the total lack of rubber used in the engine's installation. There are no hoses. All external lines were fashioned by the Van Dam crew of bent, welded, and polished stainless tubing.

The entire induction system was specifically cast and fabricated by Eichert to allow sufficient clearance between the engine and the boat's ultra low deck centerline. This is no mean feat considering the engine produces in excess of 800 horsepower with natural aspiration.

Sending the torque to the Arneson drop box is a Huber Marine 950 transmission modified by Tom Huber to incorporated his new experimental soft-shift technology, which does away with the abrupt shift engagements normally associated with high-strung racing engines.

Fuel and spark controls are handled by an EFI Technologies digital control with a matching LCD dash display and built-in data logger. By connecting the Electronic Control Module to the boat's lap top computer, critical engine functions and performance curves can be monitored and adjusted if necessary.

According to Van Dam and his crew, this boat was a "once in a lifetime" project. Each person contributing his talents to the building of the boat was challenged, and all grew as craftsmen because of it."

So there's only one. I guess that if you really wanted one they'd build it, but....for how much? Can you say stratospheric :shocking: ?

Phil

ALLAN BROWN
05-17-2004, 09:51 AM
I designed the original AlphaZ for the owner, Jeff Jones. It was pretty slick, but it looked like a box compared to this S.O.B.

hottub
05-17-2004, 12:12 PM
unbelievable boat. old school meets new school in a big way. the boat has been spending quite a bit of time in Tahoe the past couple years and is truly something special. looks and sounds unreal. it draws a crowd wherever it is.

you wouldn't be surprised to see Batman come out, jump in and take off.

MOP
05-20-2004, 11:25 PM
I have been back to look at this boat about 10 times, Ah to win the "Lotto". It is a really sweet package. The drive setup look a lot like some of the Italian race boats years back, using the Arneson with the ability to trim and have the added maneuverability of the rudder must make handle nice. I am keeping an eye on a local boat builders hand me down project, its a hull built in Australia twin cockpit 30's era style. He is modifying it for a blown 502, I'll have to shoot some shots and post them.

Phil

rayjay
05-21-2004, 06:14 AM
I have been back to look at this boat about 10 times, Ah to win the "Lotto". (not if I win the Lotto first!...) ... I am keeping an eye on a local boat builders hand me down project, its a hull built in Australia twin cockpit 30's era style. He is modifying it for a blown 502, I'll have to shoot some shots and post them.

Phil

I know this is a DONZI group, but we all have an interest in well built high performance boats with a touch of soul. So where does one get plans for something like a 30's Gold Cup racer or the Alpha Z? I've promised my Significant Other I would build her a floating mahogany piece of art to go with the late 20's dual cowl Packard phaeton she covets that drives through our town and shows up at the local car shows.

rayjay

MOP
05-21-2004, 08:10 AM
rayjay it is tough to get plans free on the net, I have found some really neat ones in books at the library. I do have a fairly close buddy that builds, refurbishes etc in wood. He is one of the good ones, he gets boats from all over the US. If you give me a general idea of the style I might be able to extract some drawings from his archives and copy them for you.

Phil

rayjay
05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Phil I will be taking you up on that soon. I figure this will be my next project after the house and Donzi projects are done. My other half is just getting used to the Donzi. She loved my Eliminator which I said I would never put in the Sound again, so it just sits except for when I start it to keep the engine in good working order.

Funny thing about some women and a man's toys!! (At least in my experience.) My ex loved my motorcycles when they didn't run while I was still working on them. She hated them once they ran and I could go riding with my friends. For Toona and the other women in the group, I always offered to take her and even kept a two-up bike that was comfortable to ride on just in case she wanted to go for a ride like she did before we were married. Once we got married she never went on a bike again.

rayjay

rustnrot
05-21-2004, 05:24 PM
I have orders for two Gar Wood Speedster replica hulls this year. 16 feet long either single (rear) or twin cockpit. Fiberglass inner hull, mahogany planking bonded to the hull, cannot tell from the real thing. Mold was off an original Gar Wood Speedster, hardware all replicated from original also.

I sell anything from wooded hulls (you finish sand, rig, etc.) to turn-key. 4.3L V6 or Mazda rotary recommended for light weight (about 50 mph). Have done 5.7L SBC.

Cheaper, easier to build and maintain, stronger, longer lasting (no wood at all below waterline--these all had painted bottoms) than all-wood construction.

Look for www.speedsterboatworks.com coming soon (well, kinda soon--wife is working on the website).

gcarter
05-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Way to go Tom!
You ought to scan and post your brochure. I have a copy right here. If you don't do it, I will. These are are beautiful boats with a minimum of maintenance, and Toms workmanship is spectacular.

George

Howe
05-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi,

I saw this thread and the question about lines and can tell you lines for some boats that raced in the Gold Cup races are available from the Mystic Seaport Museum. If you're a member, they'll cost you about $10 a sheet, otherwise expect to pay around $15 (not too bad).

Contact the ships plans & lines department < http://www.mysticseaport.org/research/ro-shipsplans.htm> and ask them for the printout of all that is available for the Gold Cup racers. The amount of information they have is quite extensive for some of the boats. Enough to recreate the entire craft.

R/
Mark

AVickers
05-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Has anyone seen the StanCraft Torpedo? They've been in business since the thirties and they have a boat called the torpedo. I saw a couple of old one and a brand new one a couple of weeks ago near Houston.

The new one had a marinized Viper V-10 and side thrusters. The engine it up under the front deck. Interesting configuration... Probably not a very fast boat, but definitely a cruiser in the old school.

What a ride!

Koenig
05-28-2004, 01:04 PM
These are made in Vancouver, B.C. My old next door neighbor had one and being the nice teenage kid took it to the gas dock for him a couple of times. Would do around 60 mph. The company is still in business. It's one of my want's and plan on visiting them in their Seattle showroom. They have a 30' cabin cruiser for sale @ $109,000, year 2002, so might be safe to say a 19' runabout new would be alot less. A Gar Wood or something simular would be a fun project to attempt to build.

http://www.kazulinboats.com/gallery/images/c_adriatic%2021.jpg