PDA

View Full Version : Low Speed Idle Question

longhorn24
05-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,
First time poster, 2 year lurker. I had my boat out over the weekend ( 71 16' Ski Sporter- 302). I had the carb rebuilt and this was the first time that i really got a chance to run it. It ran fine on saturday, but then on Sunday it started giving me issues. It would start up and the idle would be fine (6 or 700 RPM), but then when I would run it up in neutral then bring down it would only come down to about 900. Then when i would put it in gear, it would run up fine and sometimes come down fine, but sometimes the idle would stop at anywhere from 1100 RPM- all the way up to 2000. But the wierd part was, sometimes you could turn the engine off and restart the boat and the RPM's would be back in the normal zone and come back down to the normal zone after acceleration. The throttle was feeling kind of sticky up around the straight up point, and at the very end of sunday it would sometimes actually rev up when I would pull the throttle to the straight up spot. Do ya'll have any ideas on solutions or even diagnostics. (Throttle, Carb, Lower unit???)

Thanks alot,
Colin

MOP
05-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Hi and welcome to Un-Lurking! I would start with disconnecting the throttle cable at the carb, start it up and work the throttle by hand. If it is smooth and returns to idle consistently carb and return spring are fine. Check cable and shifter for binding.

Phil

Audiofn
05-17-2004, 06:58 AM
I was thinking along the same lines as MOP. Make sure that the return spring got put back on. If it is on, when the engine is idling high open the engine cover and look and make sure that the throttle is all the way closed on the idle stop screw. Another thing could be a vacume leak.

Jon

rickrsbro
05-17-2004, 10:13 AM
your second venue might be to check, clean and lube the advance weights in the dizzy. your timing maybe 'hanging.'