PDA

View Full Version : 350 MAG dipstick location

txtaz
05-16-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm working with an Tempo oil boy to change oil and am having trouble getting all the old oil out of the pan. I use the "garden" hose adapter but I think I need to jack the trailer all the way up or down based on the location of the dip stick tube. Anyone know if it is forward or aft in the pan?
Thanks,
Wes

Cuda
05-16-2004, 05:50 PM
I think it depends on which year it is. The two piece rear main seal engines have a different spot than the one piece RMS. If anyone needs and oil pan brand new for a two piece, I have one. Don't ask why I have it. :cussball:

txtaz
05-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks Cuda,
All I know is it's a late '97 350 MAG MPI. It's HP600SC's old 18 classic. Poodle is sending 2 more cases of oil so I can flush the engine clean.
Any help is appreciated.
Wes

Rootsy
05-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Drivers side dipstick if the motor is of this vintage (1987 or later)... one piece rear main. rear sump pan. the tube pretty much extends into the middle of the sump side to side, front to back, but is a small distance from the bottom of the pan... this is why you can't get all of the oil out...

if you can, take an oil bottle, 1 qt... that is empty. and cut the side out of it right around the label. put it in the bilge under the plug and remove it.. let her drain the rest of the way to get that little bit out... this is after oyu ahve removed as much as you can through the dipstick. replace the plug OR go and put one of the drain hose kits you can purchase on it.. the hose snakes out the rear drain plug of the hull. you then drain her that way... your pan has a 12MM thread

txtaz
05-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Rootsy, Thanks for the info. I plan to go with the drain tube thru the drain hole. I just want to get some good oil thru the engine while I'm waiting for the kit to come in. I don't think the oil has been changed since Ted owned the boat. About 3 years ago. I have already put a case thru the engine and Poodle in sending 2 moe cases. My Dad said I should probably try some engine flush. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
wes

Ranman
05-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Does the oil look that bad? I thought the boat only had 40 hours on it???

BTW, Root. Where do you get the hose kit?

txtaz
05-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Randy, Yes it was that bad. It was so thin, I could see a change in oil pressure after changing it. I actually think it might be the break in oil which is why I want to flush it sooooo much.
Poodle, you know me.... send the goods and the drain kit as well. I went to Walley world yesterday and filled up on Simple Green. I plan on coating the bilge before pulling the plug to help on clean up. From now on my oil changes wil be so much easier. As you said "trials and tribulations".
Thanks guys,
Wes