PDA

View Full Version : Drive failure

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Last summer we blew a drive at the 200 hour point (upper).
Replaced it with a new OM serial number Bravo I (as before) and this time I only got 17 hours before failure. Loud ping, she ran home at 30 mph no sweat, but you could hear us coming....
We were running 60 in some decent chop, no air time at all.
Drive alignment was checked at install, and coupler looked new?

Is there something I am missing.
What other hard questions can I ask at install this time.
This one had 1 month left on it's warranty from Merc, so my fingers are crossed for a new upper.
Bryan

By the pool, damn sure not in the boat!

MOP
05-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Brian I thought you would finally have a no sweat year, you deserve it after last year. Waiting with bated breath for the out come, I went black for the first time in 40 years now also sweating!

Phil

Shanghied Again
05-16-2004, 07:48 AM
The big problem and thats why I am keeping away from procharging,,, The boat weighs 5200lbs Heavy for a single engine boat, Your running a 4 blade prop to help bite better. The 502 has a lot of torque when a boat that heavy is running one engine, When you become airborne or the prop slips from lack of water as soon as the boat comes back in to the water you will put extra strain on the gears.. Before I supercharge I am converting to XR drive, The Bravo1 just cant handle the load.

fasttrucker
05-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Ive got 213hrs on my bravo.About 53hrs since the rebuilt to 500hp+...Since I didnt get the hook taken out over the winter iam still using that 3-blade.Do you think Iam better off with the 3-blade as far as the outdrive stress or whould a 4-blade add that much more stress.I need to not break down this year!..I think bryan that you just got a bad unit.Mercury has had this bravo outdrive out for a long time.I was told they are good for up to 600hp.

roadtrip se
05-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Bryan,

I am hopefully just wrapping up some drive issues from a blown upper last summer, so I can relate. We test today.

Second vote for the XR, upper and lower. Get your current Bravo fixed up under warranty and trade it or sell it outright for an XR.

Good luck, get it handled, and get back out on the water where you belong. That pool is for cooling off at the end of the day with a cocktail!

Todd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-16-2004, 09:17 AM
RT, I have considered this, may just buy one bad ass drive after I get a new one, sell her priced right and never in the water. Hell maybe someone here will need a brand new Bravo I, the OM series has the bigger shaft and gear, yet I have no Fxxxing Luck.

Well, time for dip and watch the bikinis in the backyard.

Also our house is open for the Poker Run, so plan it, I am paid etc... were all in. Give my best to your pretty wife.
Bryan

(needing rags)

farmer tx
05-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Bryan,
I may be in for your Bravo, let me know what you decide.

Thanks,
Mark