PDA

View Full Version : What do Classic owners use for bumpers?

Kikwear
05-14-2004, 05:59 PM
I can't find a bumper that doesn't slip under the rub rail whenever I moor my boat somewhere. I was looking in the Overton's catalog on page 129 and saw "low freeboard bumpers." Those look like they might do well. Gotta have something in red.

On another note, what do you Classic owners use for anchors? Any other little tips and tricks for the Classic line? I realize some of you have larger 18s and 22s but my little itty bitty 16 is strapped for space so anything you can offer would be appreciated.

MOP
05-14-2004, 07:05 PM
For my 16 I used 4X12" bumpers clove hithced to the rail. For my bottom conditions a Danforth works well, I also carried a small mushroom as I do not like beaching my boats I would anchor out in just deep enough water and bring the mushroom ashore and bury it in the sand holding the boat nicely to weather. Quite a few of the guys like the Box anchor as it folds up nice for storage.

Tomahawk
05-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Technically, boats don't have bumpers. Bumpers are for running into things, like on the front and back of cars. On boats, we use "fenders" to fend off from things like docks, other boats, Amphicars and such. I've been pretty happy with some bumpers, I mean fenders, that are intended for bass boats. They curve over the gunnels at the top. I got mine at the Bass Pro Shop. I've seen them in two sizes but, alas, not in red!
If you want a really lightweight and compact anchor, you might try a canoe store. I have a neat aluminum, folding anchor from Wyoming River Raiders at www.riverraiders.com . It works for light duty but wouldn't suggest it for serious anchoring of your Donzi.

Fish boy
05-16-2004, 05:56 PM
fender vs bumper:
That may be technically true, but I have yet to have anyone "fend" into me because they don't know how to run a boat. Cant say the same for "bump" though. LOL

Kikwear, where do you boat- river, salt, lake? If it is a lake, I saw something real cool for tying up a boat where the current is low. Dude had a 4 ft piece of pvc sharpened on one end and had about 15 ft of rope on the other. Jammed the pipe into the lake bottom and tied off boat. When done, the line wrapped around the pole and took up almost no space.

McGary911
05-16-2004, 08:34 PM
I have 2 of the red taylor low freeboard fenders. They do a pretty good job. Most places only have the black or white ones tho. Go here, http://www.c-mesales.com/en-us/p_124.html ....They carry the red ones. Good prices too.

bumpers - fenders ? Do you tie your boat up with lines or ropes? :biggrin:

JimG
05-17-2004, 07:11 AM
Here's what we use... about 10 bucks... sorry, no red.

RPD
05-17-2004, 06:18 PM
I have tried 2 things.... (1) PWC fenders sold at West, etc, will fit over the gunnel nicely... they come with a suction cup to hold them and do fine except they can move fore/aft and fail to match up with a piling, if you are moored to a wall they work great.... then (2) I made my own... bought a piece of fender designed to be nailed/screwed onto a piling, two pieces of padding inside a canvas cover with a lip all the way around (West part number 181349)... had 6 grommets placed (in the corners and middle top and bottom), then used suction cups with bungee/shock cord (West part number 247835) to mount them..... can be placed anywhere along the gunnel and work GREAT against a piling.... I'll take pictures and try to post if you want.

As for anchors... that depends on the bottom you anchor over, and for how long.... I always anchor in 2-3 feet over a sand bottom just for lunch or dinner, use a 5lb danforth type anchor with 25 feet of scope... works perfectly even with wind, chop, and an occasional thunderstorm.

MOP
05-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Something nice to have when rafting up is two of the orange ball style ones that you inflate when you need them or stuff in the bow. They do a real good job holding the boats about.

Audiofn
05-18-2004, 08:15 AM
I was looking at mine thinking that another option was to tie the fenders off on the dock instead of the boat. This is not always possible but ussually you can.

Jon

Blewbyu
05-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Fenders are to hang off your boat to fend off the bumpers.Bumpers are those that can't drive/pilot a boat. :rolleyes: