PDA

View Full Version : Need external rudder for 1968 16'classic with V drive broke off at keel

JOE A
05-14-2004, 04:18 PM
I Need external rudder for 1968 16'classic with V drive broke off at keel
I will purchase two rudders and the external bracketr to avoid this problem again in future

marcdups
05-31-2004, 09:43 AM
Try on line and bring up buckalgonguin or dahmer marine in cape may N.J. both should be able to help you in one way or the other.

Rootsy
05-31-2004, 12:50 PM
If you can't find anyone to help you out reasonably fire me an email... if you have the rudder i might be able to recreate it for you...

TuxedoPk
05-31-2004, 12:54 PM
Did this happen towing?

MOP
05-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Most all large prop shops will extract the broken end out of the rudder and press a new shaft in.

Henry
08-31-2005, 06:32 AM
will purchase two rudders and the external bracketr to avoid this problem again in future

hello,
I am owner of a Donzi 21, build 1969 .
14 days ago, I lost my rudder.
can you mail me a delivery adress or where can to buy a rudder-blade for
my donzi??
many thanks.
Henry

rustnrot
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
Call http://www.custom-ps.com/specialty_products.htm. This is the website for Ellis Propeller in Jacksonville, FL. They supplied the original rudders for the v drive donzis. I called them to find out about one of those rudders but they only make them with 1.25" shafts now. The 16' uses a one inch shaft. Also, boy it is expensive, like about $700 just for the rudder. I'd still call them and talk to them as this was a few months ago and who knows what they will tell you now. Maybe they can fix the old one you have also.

PS, yesyoucan has a '67 16' v drive. IMHO that rudder housing is a poor design. The rudder shaft itself is mounted about 3" behind the transom in the housing. When turning the force of the rudder has a 3" lever arm that twists the housing on the transom and cracks the gelcoat. While it sure looks cool with its chrome plated housing and all, newer designs mount the shaft nearly flush with the transom (and utilize 6-8 bolts holding it on vs. the 4 this housing has). I also won't tell if you give up with transom mount and install a conventional rudder underneath the keel.

fastcat
09-01-2005, 01:29 PM
We have a '68 18 foot v-drive and have been searching for information on the manufacturer of these rudders. We will definitely check out the Jacksonville lead since that is where we live.

For those of you that aren't familiar wth the V-drive rudder and housing, check out the picture of ours from the members list.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=4493&garage=1787