PDA

View Full Version : crank mount waterpump

MR.MAGIC
05-14-2004, 05:42 AM
looking to put a crank mount waterpump on a ford 351
the pulley is a 4 bolt ,the pump i got is only a 3 bolt,any help on how to do this.thanks

gcarter
05-14-2004, 06:04 AM
I'm not an expert on the finite differances between Ovals & Bowties, but it seems you may have bought the wrong pump. However it shouldn't be too difficult to drill the pump mounting plate to match your Ford balancer. Just my $0.02.

George

mattyboy
05-14-2004, 07:30 AM
pulley??? my 351w has a crank driven jabsco pump mounted on a rectangular plate, the pump mounts to the bracket and has a shaft that connects directly to the harmonic balancer thru star shaped teeth and a star shaped rubber bushing
no pulleys???
If you like I think I might have part numbers and pics at home I can post up

Matty

gcarter
05-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Matty, his mounts directly to the balancer through the pulley. I bought one for my SBC. Wonderfully efficient, and simple to mount.

George

mattyboy
05-14-2004, 07:37 AM
you're right it goes thru the center of the pulley for the alt.
forget it let me finish my coffee :rolleyes:

Matty

rickrsbro
05-14-2004, 02:06 PM
call or email vince or richard at skidim.com .

early 302's and 351's used a 3 bolt / 28 oz harmonic balancer. later 302's went to a 50 oz weight / 4 bolt when they using less material to casts the cranks. you should get the casting date code off your balancer and model pump before you call. if you have a 50 oz balancer you might have less of a headache to go belt drive.

i have the same h/m set up as matty (with the restrictor on the thermostat housing.) the pump is isolated from the crank with a rubber torsion dampner,

JWCall
05-14-2004, 02:55 PM
The connector that is used on the old h/m setup is a lovejoy and can be bought through grangers. I had to replace the rubber part on mine and I got it from grangers. It was a perfect fit.

MOP
05-14-2004, 03:06 PM
You have an automotive replacement crank, to the best of my knowledge Ford marine used only the industrial 3 bolt crank. I think you will have a time trying to adapt a pump to fit your bolt pattern. What can and has been done is to drill and tap the balancer for the three bolt stuff. If you do decide to do that I have two brand new 3 bolt crank pulleys. The balancer is different!

Phil

maddad
05-14-2004, 06:59 PM
I have the johnson pump with what is called a universal mounting plate and it lines up 4 holes with the 4 bolts just fine.It's a 351c,but I think the bolt spacing is the same as a windsor.