PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires..........What Type ?

Stan
05-14-2004, 02:14 AM
I need to put 4 new tires on the trailer. I have a bias ply on there now.

Which is better....bias ply or radials ? Trailer type of course.

Stan....... :rlol:

22 Classic
Dual Axel Trailer

olredalert
05-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Stan,

-------I vote for radials as they create less heat during towing...........Bill S

mattyboy
05-14-2004, 09:43 AM
black round ones
not flat on one side :eek::tongue:

carlisle bias ply 14 c load X4 no problem in 3 years

getting the popcorn

heard horror story on both marathons and carlisle n

matty

MOP
05-14-2004, 10:26 AM
I also feel radials are the way to go, my 16 trailer came with Carlisle bias they ran very hot, I put Marathons on that never got over just warm even running 75-80. I bought a new alum trailer for the 22 that came with Trail America steel belted radials, never heard of them and have not tow tested them yet. I feel no matter what brand some do well some fail, I hope the ones I have are not Clunkers.

Ranman
05-14-2004, 12:57 PM
I recommend going with a radial. Carlisle or Goodyear Marathons, six in one, half dozen in the other. Make sure they're properly inflated.

I used to run Marathons with virtually no problems. I had a blowout last year which caused me to notice that all the tires were on the way out (6 years old).

I tried to buy Marathons again, but I couldn't find them around town and the ones I did find were $100/ea. I ended up with Carlisle's at $60/ea on sale. Discount Tire's regular price is around $68/ea. For $40 a tire, I ain't that loyal. :smile:

slick
05-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Monday just replaced four tires on an aluminum dual axle trailer for a 22' classic and went with Radials :yes: over the orginal bias ply. Cost was 20.00 more per tire for the Radials :yes: about 74.00 each for the Trail King Radials .They get the test Thursday on the road to Cumberland and AOTH IV. :cool: