PDA

View Full Version : Tempo Oil Boy, ie, my first oil change

txtaz
05-13-2004, 05:46 PM
Has anyone ever used a Tempo Oil Boy to do an oil change in a 350 Mag? I just tried one and it only extracted 4 quarts before losing suction. It looks like the tube is not long enough to get to the bottom of the pan. Any ideas? Should I do the ol drain and fill until I get clean oil in it? I have a case of oil so I can dilute the last quart of old oil pretty well.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Wes

McGary911
05-13-2004, 06:27 PM
I have one. Are you using the threaded fitting on top of the stick shaft? Thats included for you mercruiser folks. I have had better luck using the long tubes. You may have to wiggle it a bit, but it will get to the bottom of the pan. Might as well empty the pump now, as it only holds 5 quarts, and your motor holds 6. That's the only complaint i have ever had.

txtaz
05-13-2004, 06:53 PM
McGary, Thank you very much. I was woundering what that adapter was for. Garden hose and oil??? I didn't make sense and the diretions were less than desireable.
Thanks again,
Wes :bonk:

MOP
05-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Wes the factory sucker fitting gives the best flow, the slip in plastic tube jobbies.

Phil

txtaz
05-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks Phil, I used it and drained 7 quarts from the pan. I put 5 back in and can't tell what the friggin level is. The whole dip stick is wet with oil. I'm sure that the dipstick tube needs to drain to the pan and some engine heat would help, but I don't want to run it much without knowing how much is in it. My Mercruiser manual say 5.5 quarts, the Seloc manual says 5 and the previous post says 6. I did start it and got oil pressure to normal then checked the level. You would think an engineer at Mercury would know not to have a dipstick tube making 2 90 degree bends and NOT running laterally along the STBD side of the block. Gessssssshhhhhhhhh, I'm in computers and know not to do that.
It looks like I'm going with the drain plug setup, a pain to put in but worth it in the long run.
BTW, I think I just took out the break in oil unless Ted had changed it before selling. It was nasty. I used the full case of oil and thinking about getting more just to be safe.
Wes