PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Wood

Stephane
05-12-2004, 09:45 PM
:cool: I need to change some parts of the floor and some other on the structural frame of the rear seat and i do not have any idea if some special plywood and solid wooden stud are the best to use. Normal plywood and pine trated with pentox is it enough ??? or i need to purchase marine plywood ?

Trueser
05-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Look for " starboard" expensive but it will outlast you.

Audiofn
05-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Go with Okeume (sp) It is a marine plywood that uses mahogony ply's. It is lighter then star board and will still out last you :D:D

txtaz
05-12-2004, 10:18 PM
I looked at starboard for my last rebuild and they would not say it was structurally sound for floors or stringers. I went with marine plywood and I expect it to last 20 years or so. I also went 1/4" larger than was installed previously for extra structural strength. It worked great but took extra time in grinding and fitting. The boat was much studier.
Hope this helps.

Lenny
05-13-2004, 01:08 AM
http://www.greenwoodproducts.com

There XL ply's are a nice product. They are used extensively with a lifetime warranty in marine environments.

John W
05-14-2004, 09:02 AM
I would use marine grade Plywood. for the deck repairs or a new composite. As far as stringers i would use white oak, not redoak. It is cheap enough and tough. I would stay away from any treated would because nothing would stick to it , epoxy or paint for that matter.
JW :nuke:

Lenny
05-14-2004, 09:12 AM
everything sticks to XL marine ply. That is its' purpose. It is treated for this very purpose.

Treated wood, I agree, but XL treated ply is different.

John W
05-14-2004, 09:34 AM
I stand corrected. Different animal.
JW

rustnrot
05-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Greenwood XL is THE correct stuff to use. I delivered alot of it to Scott Pearson last December. Don't know if he has used it yet. Like all plywood right now the price is much higher than it was 6 months ago. Okoume is NOT the correct stuff to use. It is designed for cold molding laminates that are completely encapsulated in epoxy. In fact, it is not even naturally rot resistant. You can get some kind of "treated" Okoume, but it is not treated with arsenic like XL ply is.