PDA

View Full Version : I bought my tow vehicle today!

TuxedoPk
05-12-2004, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure if I'm happier to have a tow vehicle or just be done shopping for one.

First- I took the advice of getting a 3/4 ton truck. What was it you all called it- "A real truck".

Second- Although I was only looking at Fords until yesterday, I got really lucky pricing wise with a Dodge.

I ended up paying $15,750 for a Silver 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab SLT Laramie with 17k miles, Automatic Trans, Heavy duty Service Group (alternator/battery/engine cooling/cooler/skid plate shield), Trailer Tow Group, Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group, Camper Special Group, and a bunch of misc. minor items like fog lamps, etc.

The tires are LT265/75R16E OWL On/Off Road.

The original owner paid $28,010 back in March of 2000.

Having the local Dodge dealer look it over was definately worth the $82 investment- it got the price down $1000.
Tomorrow I'm having new heavy duty pads and new rotors put on, changing the oil and filters, rotating the tires, and replacing the muffler with a new one that the previous owner thru in with the deal. The final cost from the repair shop turned out to be $551 and I've got a truck that's practically brand new.

I took the truck for a drive today and it felt great- until I had to make a real sharp turn into a narrow driveway. OK, so day one had the truck parked at a 45 degree angle sticking out into the road while I ran into the house-lol. I'm still getting over the 8' bed from hell is the same one that felt so comfortable driving down the highway!

On an interesting note, the Dodge dealer offered to buy the truck for $2250 more than I paid for the truck today. I didn't want to sell and start looking for a new truck again, but it certainly was a nice feeling.

Thanks again to all of you who helped me find the right vehicle. The list actually goes back a year from those who pointed out a 740 is not a tow vehicle to Bill who made it quite clear just how heavy a 24' Donzi really is right thru the last thread.

Phil- Thanks for the advice on going with the Heavy duty pads-although I wish that would have been a future upgrade not another expense tomorrow :)

By the time I make it to AOTH and back I should have the feel for this multi-zip code truck down :)

Rich

Darrell
05-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Congrads on your purchase sounds like you bought the truck below loan value.

Darrell