PDA

View Full Version : Must read for Blackhawk drive owners!

MOP
05-12-2004, 08:02 PM
As some of you know I was a marine tech a real long time, when I get anything that will be used in on on the water I pull the bolts and screws tap the threads run a die on the bolts and screws then reassemble with non hardening gasket compound. Well today was going through the routine on my BH drive, one thing that bothered me from from the day I bought the drive was the water intake was loose in the housing. So I removed the screws to see what I would do to end the problem, when I got it off I thought what a nicely machined item they were. But after looking the cavity over Mercury Marine never meant for the drive to be left in the water, the support flange for the intakes and the water passage appear to be raw aluminum as far as I could see into it. The support flange for the intakes is about .050 thick and should bee treated to save it from salt and or electrolysis damage. Kind of bummed me out that Merc did not properly coat the area like any other decent manufacturer would.

gero1
05-14-2004, 09:59 PM
coat it with what??

thriller
05-14-2004, 10:40 PM
All of them are loose and from what I can figure they were made that way..I never leave my boat in the water for long periods ..It seems to get me to where I'm going and quite quick I might add. Personally, I love the way she performs and the way she's built. Finally figured out the prop timing and my rpm and speed are where they should be..If it breaks I'll fix it but til then tabs up throttle down...well maybe a little tab.:wink: :wink: