PDA

View Full Version : Bottom coating

1996Z15
05-12-2004, 06:49 AM
My friend was talking to a guy at his marina who mentioned that there is a anti-fouling treatment for the bottom of you boat that is very similar, in application, to a wax. It's colorless and should allow one to keep their boat in all season without having to paint the bottom.
Has anyone ever heard of such a thing and does anyone have any experience with this treatment?
Just curious.

Morgan's Cloud
05-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Could it have been the ill fated (it seems) clear bottom paint from DOLPHINITE that he was thinking of ? I was hoping for great things with this stuff but it seems that a few members on 'that other board' were able to get some hands on with the stuff and it did'nt fare too well.With attendant adhesion problems I don't think anyone was able to keep it on long enough to judge it's anti-fouling properties.There was also problems with it turning yellow.

He could also have been thinking of one of the super slippery liquid polymers that you just wipe on. Some manufacturers claim that growth can't stick to the stuff... I'll believe that when I see pigs flying ..

Can you get your friend to clarify which one he was thinking of ?

Steve

1996Z15
05-12-2004, 02:06 PM
From the descrption of the application technique I would guess that he was referring to the liquid polymer you refer to.

Morgan's Cloud
05-12-2004, 02:17 PM
It's hard to believe that technology has sent man to the moon and back, not to mention many other wondrous things, but I doubt if they will ever be able to make such a product work. If someone does I'll be the first to buy stock in the company :)