PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Question for 68 16 Ski Sporter

Magicallbill
05-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey,
Hope everyone's Spring is going well; I'd like some thoughts on this,
As some of you know, my son and I are having 2 16's restored. My mechanic who is handling the operation called and said the glass guy doing the work wants to make the fuel tank an actual part of the boat itself. In other words, there would be no seperate fuel tank enclosed in foam,flotation or whatever you would surround the tank with.
He says the upside to making the tank structurally apart of the boat would be no future dampness problems either with the tanks itself,or the surrounding material that holds it in place. Also, nothing would jar loose and bang around up there in the future, and it would be slightly lighter. There would be a bit more fuel cap. too, so that would probably negate the lightness factor.
My question/concern is will this method affect the handling, trim, and riding attitude of the boat? On my 18 Scorpion, any shift or change in weight, such as a passenger changing a seat, causes a list or porposing that I have to correct with tabs or trim.
This may not be any problem at all, but in a situation like this, once I commit to a decision, I'll have to live with the handling results, good or bad. My mechanic is a trustworthy guy whom I've dealt with for years, and He seems to be ok. with it. I would like some opinions of Donzi owners, though, who really know the nuances of these classic hulls. As I said, my 18 is really sensitive;I can't believe a 16 would be any less so.
I really enjoy this registry, and hopefully I'll get these 16's up to Lk. St Clair this summer. Thanks for your help,
Bill

Scott Pearson
05-12-2004, 05:10 AM
I would stay far away from that one.

Ummmm...can you dock that thing over there...On the other side of the lake! :eek!:

(NJ)Scott
LGDCC

penbroke
05-12-2004, 07:14 AM
:eek!: :shocking:

Frank

MOP
05-12-2004, 07:49 AM
I know someone will say what about Bertram, Hatteras the have glass tanks for both gas and diesel. True to a point, the tanks are built in the shop then foamed into the hulls and glass tabbed to the bulkheads and stringers giving the appearance of being integral. Striker was one builder that did in fact do integral tanks, real fun if some one drilled for a depth finder in the wrong spot. Heard that horror story years back some fool was installing a depth finder and got a bath as soon as the pilot bit went through. Glass tanks with the proper resin are great, but if built to pass regulations they are quite heavy but fool proof.

gcarter
05-12-2004, 09:21 AM
While working on a friends sailboat in Crystal River, a large trawler yacht was hauled after running aground on an oyster shoal. The 'glass diesel fuel tank was in the keel (similar to a sailboat keel) and damaged along with the keel, naturally there was fuel running out for quite a while and made repairs dificult. a large section of the keel 'glass had to be cut out to access the tank. The glass guys had fun reforming the keel after the tank repairs.

Magicallbill
05-13-2004, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the replies,
I also talked with a friend who is handling the engine part of my restoration, and he had misgivings about the integral fuel tank as you all did.
So, I have left a message on my mechanic's machine telling him to get a regular tank for the boats.
Take care, Bill