PDA

View Full Version : How much water is normal?

jeepfan99
05-11-2004, 12:23 PM
I read the post about the 26zx with some water problems (leaking) which lead me to check my own 22zx. How much water in the engine compartment is considered normal? I just put the boat in on Sun. but we have had some heavy t-storms. I never noticed any real issues last year or even this year but am just curious. Are boats suppose to be complete water tight?

Morgan's Cloud
05-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Our boats stay in the water here ...(yeah I know ..YUCK) but take it from me, as I see it, if it has'nt rained since I last used the boat it better still be BONE DRY in the bilge or I've got a problem somewhere !

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-11-2004, 02:45 PM
My 22ZX bildge remained mostly dry unless it was a HUGE swim/lay on the sunpad day.

My 26ZX, first off the cooler under the back seat drains to bildge.
2nd, vents on sides take it water when it is rough and at bath time.

Bryan

Jim
05-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Bryan,
Do the two cockpit drains flow into the engine bilge?
I spoke to Donzi yesterday and they said that the furthest stringers out in the 26ZX drain into the front bilge area which is located right in front of the gas tank. I'm not sure if the newer 22ZX's have two bilge area's or not but every time it rains I get water into this front compartment that seems to be leaking out onto the cabin floor. He did mention that any water you would take in from the blower vents would end up in the front compartment as well but I don't think this is how the rain water is entering. I would think they would drain as much as possible into the engine bilge versus the front one but I guess not. Plus on my old Z21 and classic they had a drain hole in the cross member just below the back seat that allowed the water to drain from the front of the boat back into the engine bilge.

I didn't mean to get off the subject here but since I haven't put the 26ZX in yet I can only tell you about my old Classic or the Z21. The Z21 did stay really dry, normally what caused water to get into the bilge was taking a wave or two over the swim platorm which would wash up on to the back sunpad. If you also have a bunch of peoply you just took tubing or skiing it seems everyone likes to stand on the sun pad which drains directly into the engine compartment.
Good Luck, Jim

Lil Grizz
05-11-2004, 03:36 PM
The 22zx will take on a few gallons of water over a busy weekend. When I first got mine I searched over and over for leaks because it poured out each time i pulled the plug.
I know now exactly where the unpreventable water comes from.
1. The 4 engine compartment vents are level with the swim platform. These face rearward (bad location) and catch water when you stop abruptly, are sitting in rough water, or when you climb out of the water using the ladder. This is the biggest cause of bilge water.
2. The drain around the engine hatch goes into the bilge. this collects water the same way the vents do.
3. The cockpit drains into the bilge just ahead of the rear seat and also under the rear seat. Any liquid brought into the cockpit drains into the bilge from here. Wet swimsuits, spilled drinks, etc... cause it.
4. if its a step hull water will make its way up to the bow from the bilge. Unless you drain the boat out on a very steep hill it tends to collect just ahead of the step. Next time out it will make its way towards the stern again. This was my biggest mystery leak.
5. The rubrail leaks. The seam of the deck to the hull leaks. I noticed this when pressure washing the boat one day.

Basically a little water in the bilge on a small boat like this is unpreventable. If your bilge pump is in the right location and it cant pump it out I wouldnt worry about it. I usually never get more than a gallon or two in the bilge over the course of a few weeks. If you are noticing this water after a short time out I would check for leaky hoses, a leaky drainplug housing, exaust tips not sealed up, or a outdrive leak of some sort.

cigarette30
05-11-2004, 09:28 PM
You guys have me beat, every boat, new, used and whatever, seems to accumulate a few gallons when used. I have come to the conclusion it may be rain water (with covers, go figure?) in the "upper stringers" that after a run finds it way down. My Cigarette has a factory "sump pump" to remove the least amount, and everytime I dry the bilge, go out, it still pumps a gallon or so. Everyone I talk to says the same ..... you will have some water ..... The new classic, same thing, well maybe a couple of quarts

txtaz
05-12-2004, 05:03 AM
I'm with cig. I've had boats 25 years and always have some water. I think there will always be condensation in the bilge area unless you have a heater or blower in there running at all times. I have always had outboards before, you would think those are the least likely to get water in them, but they still did. Same as cig, it didn't matter if they were new, used or rebuilt.
It's the nature of the game.
Wes