PDA

View Full Version : How to ensure I got all the water out of my oil system?

Brose
05-11-2004, 10:46 AM
I had an interesting evening on the lake in my X-18 yesterday evening. Summary: Thermostat housing not properly tightened (my fault) caused a leak :eek!: . The high pressure water stream was somewhat directed toward the breather cap on my valve cover and I got some water in the oil.

I tightened the housing -- no probs running back in. Immediately changed the oil when I got home and noticed it was milky (it was perfect when I went out).

Is there anything else I can do to make sure I got all the water out?

Thanks

Brose

Sam
05-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Drain the oil, refill it and run it on the hose and then drain it again. Did the oil turn milky ?

Sam

Brose
05-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks Sam. I guess I'll just have to change the oil a few times until I don't notice the milkiness. The first batch of oil I drained last night was milky.

Ranman
05-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Once you change the oil and are sure you got most of the water out, I would run it. It's not uncommon to get water in the oil from simple condensation (ask Digger). Run the boat good and hard to evaporate the little bit that's left in there.

MOP
05-11-2004, 04:15 PM
If it was fresh water it will cook out, but if it was salt a half a cup of Simple Green in the oil run up to full temp and another 20-30 minutes then change again.

Scott Heidt
05-11-2004, 04:28 PM
MOP YOU DA MAN! :) Always Good Advice the OLD School Way!