PDA

View Full Version : ECM scan tool?

txtaz
05-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking about getting a scan tool for my Mercruiser EFI engine to check ECM codes. IS it worth owning one? Any ideas of a good one?
Thanks,
Wes

Digger
05-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Yes and yes. Go to www.rinda.com. Buy the Diacom Marine software package. It costs $579.00. There are much cheaper alternatives, such as the scantool, but they come nowhere near the diacom interface and data provided. EVERY parameter read by the ECM is displayed, in real time. It is a troubleshooting wet dream. You can run your engine for however long you want, the program will store the data, and you can play it back for review whenever you want. Any trouble codes are displayed along with an explanation as to what it is. The system will read any MEFI X or PCM 55 controller.

You get what you pay for. If you have a problem with your software for any reason or issues reading your ECM(s) they will bend over backwards over the phone, send you a new cd, whatever it takes to help you.

I have learned the hard way that todays ECM driven engines are pretty smart packages, and they can mask problems until a failure occurs.

I would not be without it.

Ranman
05-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Digger,

Are you saying you have the Rinda software application and the dongle to hook your engines to a laptop PC? If so, would you be a gentleman and bring it to AOTH? I have a buddy considering buying this package who is coming to AOTH and I'm sure he'd like to see the setup first hand. Let me know.

Digger
05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Randy, done. I'll have it with.

txtaz
05-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Digger, Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I want to shell out that much after the repairs I've been through. We just got our second boat out of the shop today. It might be in my best interest to pay someone to scan it for me. The future misses is going to get after me if I keep spending money. It sure would be nice to have.
Randy, you lucky dog. I wish I were going. BTW, pics of the letters on the Jeep are coming.
Wes