PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Prop Installation Help...

EricG
05-08-2004, 04:33 PM
I've read all the old threads I can find on this subject, but I'm still a bit lost. So, here goes...

I've got a LH 24 Volvo Ultra (thanks Forrest!! :D ), and a Volvo 280 drive. I've attached pictures of my drive, prop, and all of the other stuff that came off when I took the 23 aluminum prop off...

My prop shaft is drilled and threaded at the end, but it currently does not have a machine bolt in it (I have found what threads it is however).

What do I need to do to install my ultra properly? Also, it seems like there is a pretty significant gap between my prop and the drive. Is there a shorter washer availible?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.... I've heard horror stories about folks losing ultras - and having to dive for them, but with Lake Chelan being 1500 feet deep - I don't really want to explore that option :eek:

Thanks!

EG

penbroke
05-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Merc parts for Volvo drives??? Is this just a coincidence or is there some interchangeability between them?

Frank

AVickers
05-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Hmmm,

The Ultra prop I had didn't have the thru-hub exhaust so the locking tab piece fit even with the long hubbed prop. Leave the line cutter on and find a thinner washer from Volvo or Sierra. I used the original threaded cone, but a nut probably would also work. With the thinner washer, the cone fit fine, held the prop in place and allowed the allen-head locking bolt to do it's thing: even though, with the tab washer, it wasn't necessary. With a nut, you might have to use a stack of washers to allow a lock bolt to work properly.

Remember, the allen-head bolt in the end of the shaft is simply a locker -- it's not designed to secure the prop. I remember that the bolt was a 3/8 x 16tpi. With the cone in place, snug up the bolt. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN either one! The thread diameters of the inner hole and outer shaft are very close to each other and you may damage the output shaft if you go wild w/ the wrenches...

A bolt supply house should have a stainless steel alen bolt of the right length.