PDA

View Full Version : CMI headers

springs
05-07-2004, 05:20 PM
I have aquired a set of stainless CMI headers but there straight pipes. They don't make the downward curve to match up with the stern outlets. Has anyone ever re-fabricated these header to work in a classic application.

Jamesbon
05-07-2004, 05:30 PM
I havent.

I suppose CMI would make the necessary modifications, or fill the old transom holes and cut new ones to match the headers. The latter would probably be more cost effective.

springs
05-07-2004, 05:52 PM
I havent.

I suppose CMI would make the necessary modifications, or fill the old transom holes and cut new ones to match the headers. The latter would probably be more cost effective.

That was my first thought but I'd hate to do that. I guess I'll check around with a few machine shops and get a few estimates.

MOP
05-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Nate has the best idea, but no matter it won't be cheap. You may be better off getting your bucks back out of them and going for ones that fit. Many years ago I had a Bud with a header shop that was the one job he hated and most likely turned down. With wet tubes the job has to be a nightmare.

Phil

Mr X
05-07-2004, 08:49 PM
I just dont understand why anyone would want them. :confused:

The life expectancy on even a new set is about 2 years.

I see piles of them in the dumpster every year.

It has nothing to do with salt water.......just the hot and cold
cycling.

They crack internally and leak water in the engine.......and then........ bye bye engine.

Rootsy
05-07-2004, 09:01 PM
This might be Mr. Besst's arena since he has a lot of experience with stainless... can you anneal Stainless? the welds cause the material to become hard and brittle.. the heat cycling and flexing and vibration cause them to fatique and crack at the stress risers, ie the welded joint...

what saith you Jim?