PDA

View Full Version : What's this??

Kirk
05-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Need some help here....Can you please check our the image below and please identify what this is!

I have no grease fitting so I am not sure what this is. The drive is a volvo 270 without tilt (unfortunatly). It is located between the bellhousing and the drive. The bolt is about a 1/2 ' with 20' thread.

Thanks in advance!!

Kirk

mikev
05-07-2004, 11:18 AM
thats the hole to attach the flux capacitor so you can travel to the future. :D :D

MOP
05-07-2004, 12:01 PM
If that shot is what I think it is it is where you grease the shaft bearings. I just went out to the shop, measured the pitch on the grease adapter I made 35 years ago. It is 3/8"-16pX1/2" long, what I did was to drill a hole down through the center and tap it for a 1/4 Zerks fitting. It to me is the only way to properly grese the shaft bearings. I am pretty darn sure the thread is still the same(try a 3/8 16 bolt in the hole. I used that adapter a Guzzilion times until 1986 when I got off the wrench's. Don't have a digital or would pop a shot.

Phil

BRIAN73
05-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Kirk,

How are things going?

That plug takes the place of a fitting to to grease the non shielded bearings that were originally in the connecting unit.

I have it on good authority that the current bearings are Sealed (Meaning they don't need to be greased) I guess if you were worried about water comming thru that housing, you could pump a boat load of grease in there, but personally I would not do that.
Make sure the plug is tight and get the boat in the water!!!!!!!

Are you going to make it up to Lake George for the Dust Off?

I won't be able to attend the poker run, but mabey will be milling around afterwards.

Brian