PDA

View Full Version : High Performance Boating School?

bjh517
05-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I have had many boats in the past, but my 16 Classic with a 350 magnum is my first high performance boat. I am comfortable handling boats in most situations, but the other day I found myself in a couple of situations that I was not sure how to handle. I enjoy going fast but I don't want to do something stupid out of ignorance.

Is there a high performance boating course that I can take that will teach me the unique skills needed to handle a small boat at 65 mph? There must be a better method than trial and error!

Any input would be helpful.

(By the way, my tach was set to 6 cyl. I changed the setting and now my RPMs are in line).

Sport
05-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Yes, there is a school. Donzi has one down in Talivest or Sarasota I believe. You have several options on a one day course or a whole week long deal. Friend of mine went a few years ago and said he had a blast. Sorry, I have no phone number though.

Sport

Fish boy
05-07-2004, 10:29 AM
I am not sure this is going to make a lot of sense, but here goes. I agree it is a good idea to take a course, but there is no substitute for seat time. Like riding a bike, learning to snow ski, driving a car, the more time you spend actually doing it, the more comfortable with it you become. Learn what you can from what ever source you choose, but getting to know your boat IMHO is essential at achieving what it sounds like you are trying to achieve.

PS DOn't forget your jacket and kill switch.

Rootsy
05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
you could come to michigan for a few weeks for a little hands on experience ;) there will be a final exam and everything... if you can take Roadtrip for a ride at 70 and he doesn't wet himself you pass :biggrin.:

JR - Joy is 80 in a 16 :yes:

Brad Lyon
05-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Jamie, he told me he spilled his drink! :biggrin:

MOP
05-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Pertaining to the above DEPENDS!

On a serious note, I have felt that some sort on maybe not hands on but an advisory class on basic keep out of trouble things would be real good. I gave boat handling course's for about 6 years, most did well some will never get off my dangerous list. I would teach people on mediocre powered boats and next season see them in something that I considered way over their heads, several proved me right. I think that anyone that will be operating over 60 should have some at the least basic training. That goes double for young and supposedly mature Jet Skiers. Seems like they by them and become Instant AH's! No offense to D net members who I am sure have a good grip on safety.

roadtrip se
05-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Had nothing at all to do with the three foot wall of water that came right over the bow at 70mph!

Pow, right in the kisser and there I am swimming in my shorts in a 16 Classic bath tub!

:umbrella: :umbrella: :umbrella:

Todd
"Oh yeh, Roots can show you a couple of high speed, performance tips, but pack your wet suit!!"

MOP
05-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Get backs are B!

Rootsy
05-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Phil...

Todd should know... that was payback... ;)

Nothing is quite as invigorating as fresh water straight from Lake Huron :D

Sam
05-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Bjh517, so tell us what happened. I'm sure we have all been there before.

Sam :propeller

roadtrip se
05-07-2004, 01:49 PM
I did have it coming, after a little un-planned flying in crossing seas at AOTH3 with Roots in the backseat...
:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Of course, I could have read the water a little better, but I blamed it on the Mirage prop and retired that bugger for good or at least until I get Roots in the backseat again at AOTH4!

Todd
"We can all use the occassional, un-planned handling lesson!"
:eek: :eek:

Now back to our regularily scheduled thread topic....

bjh517
05-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Well, it happened twice. The thing that bothered me the most was the way my boat landed after a 1 - 1 1/2 foot wake. I was cruising the intracoastal by myself on a fairly calm day, only doing 40 - 43 mph. I was not dragging tabs.

A yacht had passed a few minutes prior, so the wake was making its rebound. I hit the rolling wake head-on, neutral steering. The boat did not come close to clearing the water (the hull remained in the water), but as it landed, it listed very heavy to the port side. I slowly reduced the throttle and as I did, it seemed to dig in and get worse. It felt like the port bow wanted to dig into the water.

As I mentioned, I have had 10 - 12 boats in my life and feel comfortable reading the waves and predicting the outcome. This was very uncomfortable . I want to understand why it happened and how to correct it, so if I encounter it at 65mph, I will be prepared, or hopefully avoid it all together.

Is it a characteristic of a deep V hull, or something else. Has this ever happened to you guys?

Rootsy
05-07-2004, 03:38 PM
all of the time when i am light on fuel and trimmed out.. when you are in the air it wants to fall left... especially with a passenger... correct by steering right for me...

wasn't chinewalk was it?

bjh517
05-07-2004, 04:14 PM
No, it was not chinewalking.

In flying, there are several things that cause left turning tendencies. One is torque and the other is gyroscopic precession. I wonder if the absence of drag when the hull is out (or nearly out) of the water, but power is still applied to the prop, causes the hull to pivot left around the longitudinal axis?

Sort of makes sense, any opinions?

mattyboy
05-07-2004, 04:23 PM
yup mine does it too!! especially with my fat ass on the port side
I find now after 3yrs in the boat has a see some air coming I move the wheel slighty right seems to help it stay level not fall off to the left, The first time it happened to me I thought I collapsed the left side of the hull!!! you'll get the hang of how your boat handles

Matty

customan
05-07-2004, 05:45 PM
man it took me all summer to somewhat tame my 22 these single engine boats take some skill to handal at hi speeds the throddle and stiering wheel must be used together like ice in a blender, i find when im flying out of the water its best to back off quik on the gas, when you land ,hammer the gas and give the wheel a firm but short jerk and once you get the rythem down it feels great! oh yha back to boating once you get it youll know ,16s are tough in the rough but dats y dar fun!!

bjh517
05-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Well, I'm glad to find out it is a common problem. I can learn to adjust, I just thought I was doing something terrible that might harm the boat or me. I will try the suggestions. Thanks for the input, guys.

Last Tango
05-10-2004, 03:37 PM
As far as the High Performance Boating School, a couple years ago there was one in Sarasota, but it was not run by Donzi. I remember Steve Simon talking about Donzi having a school, but I'm not aware that Donzi actually did any schools. The one I'm referring to also offered navigation skills and boat handling at all speeds. I tried to look it up in my back issues of magazines, there were several articles, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Don't do a web search under boat schools, it is wayyyy toooo much to deal with. Maybe something in the Power Boat magazine archives or Hot Boat archives, but I haven't looked there yet.

Dr. Dan
05-10-2004, 05:09 PM
:rolleyes: Locally up here in the Chesapeake Bay...and along the East Coast...there are many services where a licensed Captain will teach you how to drive your boat. Now I can see all sorts of problems with that...but for someone with little or no experience...its a good exercise..in Basic Operations.

I would suggest you attend some Events...hook up with some experienced individuals...and go for some rides with them...

Short of that, often there are area Performance Clubs which would provide direction as well...possibly...ask at your local Marinas and Service Shops.

There is no substitute for Seat Time, in any vehicle....it takes alot of Practice...and each Hull has its own attitude. :bonk:

Good Luck...

Doc

Mr X
05-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Wellcraft (Scarab) used to offer one, but it went bye bye much like they did... One of their old Training (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/2/70081522.htm) boats is on Trader Online at the moment...

"Freshwater use only" LOL, I guess Sarasota bay got salty since the school closed :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Way too much money for a non step bottom Scarab too.

Kikwear
05-10-2004, 10:06 PM
PS DOn't forget your jacket and kill switch.
Speaking of which...where can I find a replacement kill switch lanyard for my 16?

Kikwear
05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks MadPoodle, I just ordered two on StemtoStern.

THe one I do have is the loop style that has Run on top and Stop on bottom...in a toggle switch fashion.

JimG205
05-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Yes,you will feel the torque whether your in the water or out-more pronounced airborne due to the fact there is less resistance to the torque,even throttled back the engine is still producing. :propeller