PDA

View Full Version : A few more Blackhawk pics from Mike.

Lenny
05-06-2004, 08:20 PM
They sure standout in the "land of none" don't you think. I must say, that shot of what is in front of you, clean, clear Ocean, and calm, must have been a bit tempting... :D

MOP
05-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Great looking boat and the area looks like a nice place. The sail boat in the back ground caught my eye with its flared bow. I have only seen a few like that, it makes a lot of sense in a following sea. If you ever get out to the correct coast one day I will show you the photos I took during a delivery in 1983 to the Virgins, just past Bermuda we ran into the back side of hurricane Klaus anemometer was pinned at 90 knots for about 36 hours. We were running under a spitfire jib hitting 14.4 knots at times down the face of some big ones in a 47 Alden ketch that had a hull speed of 8 knots. The bow would push down to inches above the water and throw a bow wave like a big cruiser talk about scared S&PMB's That boats bow at rest was near 5 feet high from the water up. So the flared design has interested me for years.

Lenny
05-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Mike, I think you should turn your Bow lifting ring 90 degrees... I haven't seen one like that before. Watch the plating, use a wooden broom or dowel in the hole and have "someone else" under the deck. ( or just ignore my comment :D )

thriller
05-07-2004, 02:02 AM
LOL....Hell..I'd rather look through it than block my view;)

BUIZILLA
05-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Hmmm.... I kinda like the lift eye turned that way. Just think of all the bulls-eye *chase the pelican* hits you can do now.

J :pimp:

thriller
05-07-2004, 08:22 AM
It really is a multi use bow ring. Navigational aid when drinking.....bullseye......

?Question? Where does one or what does one use to hook his side bumpers to when docking on a 22' Classic?
The last few outings I have tied them to the dock..but know there must be a better setup...I almost left them behind when leaving the dock..LOL

boldts
05-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Sorry, my eyes aren't the greatest, but it looks in the 3rd picture like you have a gold cleat back by the engine hatch on each side.

For your bumpers, and this is up to how original you want to keep the boat, but the previous owner of my 22 replaced the on top the deck cleats with pop-up cleats. Adding a pop-up just in front of the windshield on each side. Because the cleats pop-up when you need them, they are out of the way when you don't. No tripping over them or taking away from the natural beautiful line of the boat when looking at it from the side.

I think, and this is just my opinion, I'd look into getting 4 pop-up cleats gold plated and replacing along with adding 2 more. Might be pretty expensive, but it sure would get the WOW factor! :D

BTW, beautiful Donzi. Those cliffs in the picture remind me of Lake Cumberland. You'll be right at home Lenny.

MOP
05-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Possible Idea!
I saw a trick for holding bumpers that I am not sure how good it is. The guy had plastic hooks with the fuzzy side of Velcro stuck inside and clipped them over his windshield frame, he said he has been doing for years and that only once did a bumper get caught and break the clip. I did look closely there were no marks on the aluminum frame.

thriller
05-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Thanks Scott..I like those pop up cleats as well. Will source and price the job inccluding the 24k plating.

MOP...I also am partial to the swept hull design you so fondly mentioned. A must in our local waters if your ever going to escape up the "Inside Passage" to Alaska or even out into the Straight of Georgia..
I'm out on the velcro mod but kinda would have to see the set up (photo) to figure it out. I do get the just of it..just not the visual..
Happy Safe Boating,
Mike.:boat:

Dr. Dan
05-08-2004, 06:06 AM
:cool: I would check with RickR he just did some in his 22 not long ago....as to position by the Windshield....it is a matter of preference and utility...I installed 2 Cleats (regular non pop up) and to keep them visually off the line of sight of the Deck and sides ...I placed them approximately 4" behind the lowest front point of the windshield where it rakes back...I believe the out from windshield side frame was about 2". :shades: From a profile view they are hard to see...and they are off the Deck so no Toe Stubbing...

Ricks are great, and because they are pop ups you don't really see them....I know Todd installed some a bit more forward on his...so there is some variation.....I have to say...regardless of the design or year...all of the boats should have them as standard equipt.....since we did ours I rest alot easier than when we did not have them...sometimes even with cleats....the Dock Hands can spoil your plans...just ask Tom Riggle! :puke:

I find it so much faster at the time of approaching the Dock to just through the Fenders out there and approach the Dock...they create peace of mind and protect your finish....I see alot of clean lined non-cleated Boats.....with nice chips or smashed Rub Rail...because the Owner did not want to install additional Cleats....Hmmm cleats of smashed Gel and Glass...let me see thats a tough one.... :idea:

Whatever you do just make sure you use good backing plates...and enjoy your protected boat...it is a Beautiful Peice of Art......... congratulations...

:cool: Doc

Lenny
05-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I was watching CNN weather and hearing about $.25 sized hail in Michigan today,... :eek:, Mike is heading out into this at noon today...Sure, it is not Florida, but it isn't all bad either. :D These are a few of the ( 700 ) Gulf Islands/ San Juan Islands here.

That's Galiano Island to your left, Prevost Island to your right,
North Pender Island in center, Portland Island just right of it, and "just" behind it, about 3 miles back is the USA, and San Juan Island , and Roche Harbour, the beginning of the USA.